make your own lift bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spears

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey guys and gals,
just wondering if anyone has or attempted to make their own lift bag. i am interested in retreiving small things if i see them, and as its not serious and essential i am wondering if its possible to make one instead of spending a hundred dollars on one. since that hundred dollars can be put to much better use in my "buy a drysuit savings account" lol which is nearly an essential item here in nova scotia.
spears

We made one in DM class using an industrial strength trash bag, a net laundry bag and spray adhesive. We stuffed the trash bag with paper to shape it, then we sprayed adhesive all over it and pulled the net laundry bag over top. A week later we took it to the quarry and lifted a small engine with it. It was a fun project, but I don't recommend using it for anything other than an experiment.

For safety's sake, get a real lift bag. You don't want a blow-out which could result in an accident. My large safety sausage is actually a small lift bag and it was less than $100 (US).

Yeah....not worth the work to make one. I can get you one for a decent deal that you will be happy with.

Brent

I would get some plastic kind of fabric...not cotton or wool. Spray it down well with waterproofing stuff. To make a safety sausage, cut out two 6-8"wide strips, whatever seems right, 9 feet long. Sew edgest ogethers, then turn itinside out to make it look nicer. Put some strap thing across the whole on one end (sew other end up before you turn it inside out), attach a suicide clip or double ender to that, to hook your spool on. Something like that. Might work.

I don't see why you should pay even $40 for an SMB. Seems like alot of money for $10 of fabric and 5 minutes on a seweing machine.

Spears:
hey guys and gals,
just wondering if anyone has or attempted to make their own lift bag. i am interested in retreiving small things if i see them, and as its not serious and essential i am wondering if its possible to make one instead of spending a hundred dollars on one. since that hundred dollars can be put to much better use in my "buy a drysuit savings account" lol which is nearly an essential item here in nova scotia.
spears

You can buy one on one of the HOT DEALS posts here for $45 bucks.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=179012

Almost as cheap as making one. Especially if you want to put dump valves in it.

BTW... if you make one, put a dump valve in it. Overfilling it just means it goes shooting to the surface. Sometimes when they hit the surface, if they have an open bottom, they deflate. Then "what went up, comes down" and if your still under it, you're screwed.

The dump valve will allow a controlled ascent.

Way too complicated. Buying one is best, but in a pinch, simply stuff a trash bag in a mesh game bag. There's no need for glue. Works like a charm.

I am going to build one, I have some 1000 denier nylon with plastic coating on one side. It is the same material used in constructing BC's, (I think they also use a bladder inside). I figured to sew a couple of straps over the top to reinforce it and provide a good sling for lifting with. I would also like to fit it with a dump valve, Any one know where to get a dump valve?

on Leisure Pro you can find them starting at $30 something~!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom