Make your own face mask or buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

longshotgene

Registered
Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone has made a partial face mask to protect your lips from the cold? I have been thinking about cashing in my chips and buying an Ocean Reef Neptune full face mask, but I was curious what you all had to offer advice-wise? I would really like to have something that covers or at least helps keep warm water trapped around my lips. In Great Lake diving, your lips freeze.

I have had hundreds of great lakes dives and have found that any exposed skin goes numb after a few min. I have seen guys while out ice diving put vasoline on exposed skin to provide some protection

Google "Lip Shield" - I use one in the Great Lakes and I have noticed a big difference in how I feel during the dive. You can find it at any reputable LDS for 5-10 bucks.

Thanks for the ideas. I didn't know if you could modify one of those neoprene motorcycle half masks. The only problem is they cover your nose, so it would need some major modifications. Has anyone tried one of those ISE facemasks? I see them on some scuba sites. It is about $90 and has the lenses built in. You slip your regulator into it and bam you have a full face mask. I am just curious how legit they are.

I dive Lake Michigan and ice dive and not seen the cold to be a real issue, but once you are over the initial shock of the cold I have not had any other problems. I have tried lip shield and it seemed to have worked ok, seemed to be just another piece of gear to much with. If you are interested about full face talk to Brian at Diver Dan's in Kenosha, they do demos of the full face in the pool..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom