Maintenance - Fresh water only or water mixed with cleaners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a tadpole and outside of the welcome post this is my first post! I've finally have been able to piece together all my scuba gear and am ready for my first dive with all new equipment. I know that maintenance is very important and I've watched different videos on maintaining your equipment. My question pertains to the bcd. About half the videos say to use fresh water and the other half says to use a small amount of bcd cleaner and fresh water. My question is which is the best method to use to preserve the gear? I'm looking forward to your thoughts and comments. THANKS!

Hi, I'm a tadpole and outside of the welcome post this is my first post! I've finally have been able to piece together all my scuba gear and am ready for my first dive with all new equipment. I know that maintenance is very important and I've watched different videos on maintaining your equipment. My question pertains to the bcd. About half the videos say to use fresh water and the other half says to use a small amount of bcd cleaner and fresh water. My question is which is the best method to use to preserve the gear? I'm looking forward to your thoughts and comments. THANKS!

I generally use Downy to rinse the inside/outside of my BCD. You could use BCD specific products to rinse but the most important item is to rinse the inside of the bladder as salt water will get in. My 10 year old knighthawk BCD looks and smells great with my method.

Outside BCD I use just fresh water from a hose or in the shower. Inside fresh water and a little baby shampoo. My original BCD was bought used and was still OK when I replaced it 16 years later (well some parts were a bit ragged, but the bladder was same as always).

My wife introduced me to the benefits of mint mouthwash to wash our SCUBA gear. Just add a cap full or tow to a rinse tank or splash a little on your gear. It has bacteria killing properties, it smells great, and it is cheap.

Works on BCD's and all the regs, fins, etc. But it is REALLY great on wetsuits and boots.

Are you diving salt or fresh water?

Are you diving salt or fresh water?
BOTH. I just completed a fresh water dive this weekend AND I'll be doing a salt water dive in two weeks. Since salt is corrosive, I guess I really need salt water advice. THANKS

BOTH. I just completed a fresh water dive this weekend AND I'll be doing a salt water dive in two weeks. Since salt is corrosive, I guess I really need salt water advice. THANKS
There are several different methods, and lots of opinions. I'll share what I do. I primarily dive in salt. When I do dive in freshwater, it depends on how clean it is. Spring dives don't require much as the water is already quite clean.

For saltwater, I start with soaking and rinsing in a mix of water and Salt Away/ Salt Off. Regs are soaked while pressurized. At a minimum, 2nd stage soaks in a tub and tanks and 1st stage are rinsed well. Small gear such as knives, computers, mask, gloves, booties are soaked at the same time. Larger items like BCs & wetsuits get the next batch with water and Revivex cleaner.

After soaking, all but the BC are hung up to dry/ placed where they can dry. The BC gets an extra step for the inside. My BC (Zeagle Stiletto) has the BX connector. I unscrew the inflator and keep that with my regulator. I then screw on my Salt Away mixer, which is also attached to the water hose. I turn it on and let the BC fill with water/salt away making sure to cycle each of the dumps a few times. After the mixture has run for a bit, I'll run straight water to clear everything out. Then the BC is drained and hung up to dry. After a few hours, I'll remove the excess water from the lower dumps, and repeat until I've got the majority of water out. BC is hung up for storage inside with nothing attached to the corrugated hose.

If you can do a fresh water dive after doing the salt dives, that really helps. It really works to get the deep salt out of stuff that running a little fresh water just can't do.

As for adding "stuff" to the water, I take that on a per case basis. Most cases not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom