Mahahual and further south

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelan-pelan

Contributor
Reaction score
Trying to organise a trip for ourselves and friends. Strong currents and vast quantities of sharks are a No. Cattleboats and drinking and diving are a No. Touching creatures is a No. Boat diving - yes, four boat dives a day or whole day on boat is really good. And we don't mind trying out dive sites that are relatively new, what you see is what you see and it's all good.

This southern area of Mexico sounds ideal. I know nothing about it.

Can you recommend competent dive operations? Mahahual, Xcalak etc.

Thanks for your help. Already looked at Cocos south of Xcalak. What is the pattern of diving there? How many dives a day, stay out on boat for surface interval or go back in, etc. It looked great but our group may prefer just a tiny bit more town, two cafes is good!

Aside from a cruise ship stop with 2 dives in Costa Maya (a.k.a. Mahahual) several years ago, not places I'm familiar with. Some old threads with posts by people who are may be of interest:

1.) Week in Xcalak, week in Mahahual (2017).
2.) Great Dive Combo.; Xcalak and Cozumel (2017).
3.) Secluded Peninsula filled with untouched coral reefs (2017).
4.) Xcalak, Banco Chinchorro, Cozumel (2016). Includes a post with link to a free Nov. 2015 Undercurrent article on Xcalak.
5.) Mahahual Dive Op.s Questions (2016).
6.) Xcalak Dive Trip with XTC Dive Center Report (2016).

In the 2016 Where to go in the Caribbean? thread, RyanNM noted:

"You might check out Xcalak, MX, about 3-4 hrs S of Cancun. Very small, quiet ecotourist village with big fish and reefs, and the protected Xcalak National Marine Park (Costa de Cocos - Enter our Underwater Wonderland and Explore the Xcalak Reef National Marine Park , XTC DIVE CENTER | Scuba diving, Snorkelling, Fishing and Excursions in Xcalak, Costa Maya Mexico ) . Small hotels or VRBO or AirBnB. Besides a diving destination, the area also has world class fishing (outside the Park)."

Richard.

P.S.: As rarely as I'd seen Xcalak mentioned over time, I was surprised to turn up quite a bit of fairly recent content rather easily. Anyone know if this dive destination is 'up & coming?' As for Mahahual, I mainly associate it with being a cruise ship port on Western Caribbean itineraries. My 2 dives were fine; I wonder why it doesn't seem to be a more popular, mainstream destination?

I have used Dreamtime Dive Center on two visits to the area, and will use them the next time in Mahahual. Good folks and an excellent dive op.

XTC in Xcalak is a good outfit. You won't be bothered by too many other dive boats.

Trying to organise a trip for ourselves and friends. Strong currents and vast quantities of sharks are a No. Cattleboats and drinking and diving are a No. Touching creatures is a No. Boat diving - yes, four boat dives a day or whole day on boat is really good. And we don't mind trying out dive sites that are relatively new, what you see is what you see and it's all good.

This southern area of Mexico sounds ideal. I know nothing about it.

Can you recommend competent dive operations? Mahahual, Xcalak etc.

Thanks for your help. Already looked at Cocos south of Xcalak. What is the pattern of diving there? How many dives a day, stay out on boat for surface interval or go back in, etc. It looked great but our group may prefer just a tiny bit more town, two cafes is good!

I have been to Xcalak the last 2 summers & Mahahual once. Year before last my wife & I traveled to Xcalak to a beautiful beach house north of the village (Welcome to the Coral Garden Inn) for 2 weeks. Diving on Banco Chinchorro was a bucket list dive for me. The only true dive shop at Xcalak is XTC Dive Center (XTC Dive Center). It is a 1st class operation in the middle of nowhere. It is a PADI IDC training facility so usually there will be 2-3 trainees diving with you. Costa de Cocos (Costa de Cocos Resort - Xcalak, Mexico - Beauty and Tranquility at the End of the Road Less Traveled) advertises diving but I think they have a dive guide contracting from what are mostly fishing boats. Staying in Xcalak is not for the pampered tourist type; once you pass XTC on the beach road all electricity is solar which means no AC! Also, all water is cistern caught rain water and NO cell service (there is internet though - go figure, some type of community wifi). Bring your groceries because eating out is hit-&-miss at best. There are food trucks that come by daily, a treat in itself. There are a few places in the village, a small restaurant/bar at XTC and a few associated with small places to stay. The rewards of staying on the beach are huge: absolutely no lights at night to hide the stars, no noise, and very, very few cars up and down the beach road. I love it but wife didn't acclimate to the heat well. Second trip I did this last summer solo. Flew into Cancun, rented a car and struck out for Tulum where I overnighted in town. Next day, drive to Xcalak with groceries. I stayed at a small place close in to the village & dive shop, Casa Paraiso (Home). Nice little set of 4 rooms, very clean, run by expats. I did 5 nights here diving with XTC 4 days, too windy for a Banco Chinchorro trip. As a back up, I reserved a room in Mahahual, not knowing what to expect except cruise ships. Nacional Beach Club (Nacional Beach Club) is not what the name sounds like. It's an eclectic small set of rooms with a restaurant/bar on a beautiful beach owned by a Texas expat, Evan. Cruise boats came in only 1 day a week which was located far from the village. AC, restaurants, stores, wow, civilization! Small, funky village with a great malacon (no cars) in front of the beach. Evan recommended diving with Amigos del Mar behind his "hotel". I can't say enough good things about this little shop or it's owner, Heiko Goetze, a german expat. Did the trip to Banco Chinchorro which is closer & cheaper with Heiko and a great 34', twin outboard dive boat. He knew of a couple of wall dives that he had mapped which were great. Spent several days hanging out, drinking beer, on my casita porch with the dive shop and hotel owners. He also introduced me to Matraka, the grandfather in the movie Alamar which was filmed at Banco Chinchorro & Xcalak. All I can say about Costa Maya is GO, you won't regret the adventure!
20170818_144508.jpg

Casa Paraiso at Xcalak
20170818_144508.jpg
20170821_072708.jpg

My casita at Mahahual
20170824_072428.jpg

Malecon at Mahahual
20170827_135847.jpg

National Beach Club at Mahahual

Last edited:
Thanks to all for this information. I have been through all the links. It sounds great to me but I fear that some members of the group may not cope with no a/c, the possibility of cool showers (not the sort that fall out of the sky) etc. I'm still looking at the area, perhaps Mahahual might be better than Xcalak from that point of view. Or I can ditch the rest and go on my own!

Yea, Mahahual is much more comfortable. Depends on your priorities. Either way, it' still quite an adventure. Car rentals at the Cancun airport are much cheaper off-site. They'll pick you up at the airport & take you to their office. We've rented from Easyway both trips. Honest people with decent cars & prices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom