Magnolia Rocks Parking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petrieps

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went to Magnolia this afternoon. Much to my dismay Lexington Ave has been peppered with NO PARKING signs!! Residents only Violators will be towed.
When did this happen?
Where do divers park now, so as not to irritate the residents any more than they already are?

You would think that maybe these towns might get a clue and issue parking permits for non residents maybe make a little money out of the deal? How much would you pay to go diving 50 - 75 bucks for a permit for the year that would allow you to park in designated areas for recreational use?

I found this out Sat as well. The conditions were perfect for a dive, but I didn't want to go hunting for a legal space. I'm somewhat local and will look for closest legal parking for those interested. Note that I have witnessed many divers acting like asses there - sitting on someone's wall, BLASTING their air to dry dustcaps early in the am, and changing in direct line of sight of people's kitchen windows. Its no wonder the signs went up.

On a related topic, we went from there to OGB, which looked like the invasion or Normandy. We're going to lose access there as well soon I predict. There was actually a pickup truck ON THE LAWN. Come on people - get some brains.

We ended up at Atlantic shores. Only people there - it was joyful.

You would think that maybe these towns might get a clue and issue parking permits for non residents maybe make a little money out of the deal? How much would you pay to go diving 50 - 75 bucks for a permit for the year that would allow you to park in designated areas for recreational use?

Part of it is parking is a big money maker for the city in the summer. The sticker also allows you to park in the beach parking lots for free.

I recently moved from Gloucester and the parking sticker is one of the things I'll miss the most.

I found this out Sat as well. The conditions were perfect for a dive, but I didn't want to go hunting for a legal space. I'm somewhat local and will look for closest legal parking for those interested. Note that I have witnessed many divers acting like asses there - sitting on someone's wall, BLASTING their air to dry dustcaps early in the am, and changing in direct line of sight of people's kitchen windows. Its no wonder the signs went up.

On a related topic, we went from there to OGB, which looked like the invasion or Normandy. We're going to lose access there as well soon I predict. There was actually a pickup truck ON THE LAWN. Come on people - get some brains.

We ended up at Atlantic shores. Only people there - it was joyful.

well said :thumb:

the crowds are another reason that I like go boat diving on the weekends and get my shore diving in during the week :)

I'm not surprised either. This has all stemmed from the one property owner on the corner. He's been subjected to everything mmerriman mentioned on a constant basis. It's not only divers though, there are a lot of fishermen and tourists who also frequent the rocks. Whenever I've gone there, I've always carried my gear to the rocks and then suited up. Supposedly all the water frontage is owned by the residents on shore road. I fear if we start parking on the side roads they will start posting those as well :depressed:

"You would think that maybe these towns might get a clue and issue parking permits for non residents maybe make a little money out of the deal? How much would you pay to go diving 50 - 75 bucks for a permit for the year that would allow you to park in designated areas for recreational use? "

Actually Gloucester (Magnolia is part of Gloucester - they just don't like to admit it) has 200 non-resident beach parking permits available - $250 each!!!

The vast majority of the areas that are resident only parking have small parking lots. Should a resident not be able to park at a beach while a non resident does? I can see where you're coming from, but when you take a place such as Folly Cove where there room for only a half a dozen cars, I believe residents should get first dibs.

Well I guess they could get just as much money if they ticket illegally parked cars too. Yes of course residents should be able to park. I just meant they could create areas or on street parking spots near popular dive sites that you could park at if you had a permit. The disrespectful behavior well that's just people not using common sense and is unfortunate that some bad apples can spoil things for others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom