Magnehelic gauge: 0-3 or 5-0-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeadTurn_SD

Contributor
Reaction score
For those of you servicing your own regs, which scale to your recommend for a Magnehelic gauge: 0-3 or 5-0-5 (and why?) ?

I'm getting ready (finally) to buy a better quality IP gauge, and decided to get a Magnehelic gauge at the same time.

Thank you!

I have both and use both. The one I use most of the time is the 0 3 inWC. It is the most precise in the range that I am working of which is from about 0.5 inWC to just under 2 inWC.

It is nice to see the exhalation effort, but there is not really anything to adjust so having a scale in both directions is not essential.

If I was only going to have one, it would probably be the 0 3 inWC for the precision. On the other hand, you can still read in the 5-0-5 with enough precision to do most anything you need.

It is just a matter of preference. The scale and readability of the 0-3 is almost 4 times more spread out than on the 5-0-5 inWC.

Some people do like to see the inhale-exhale cycle back and forth. IMHO, that is just kind of cool, but without much of a real practical value.

I also don’t deal with any regulators that would exceed the 3 inWC. IMO if a regulator exceeds 3 inWC, it either needs service or need to be shelved (I rarely throw anything away).

If you are keeping an eye on eBay, you will run into both on a fairly regular basis.

Good luck

My next purchase is a flow meter, but at the range we need they are hard to find on eBay. I can buy them directly from Dwyer, but they are about $80 IIRC. I will get to it one of these days.

Thanks Luis! Great info as always.

The price is the same for the 5-0-5 and 0-3, and from what you've described the 0-3 sounds like the ticket for the regs I'll be maintaining.

Thanks again.

I use the 0-3 version for the same reasons that Luis has explained.

Greg Barlow

Or go the cheap route and build a $5 manometer. Nothing to calibrate, always accurate, + and - scale and any range you want.

Or go the cheap route and build a $5 manometer. Nothing to calibrate, always accurate, + and - scale and any range you want.

True...

Hey, I could create my own trade-marked scale.... call it the "Newton Scale" to make it sound scientific and all.... and not tell anyone the unit of measurement is a stack of Fig Newtons next to the manometer :D :D

Friend: "What did you set the cracking pressure on this 2nd to?"
Me: "1.2 Newtons.... I would have set it higher, but I was hungry and ate the other two Newtons..." :D :D

Seriously, thanks to everyone who replied, it helps.

You would have to come up with something different than a Newton. The Newton is already a unit of force in the metric system, to be more specific in the SI (Systema Internacionalle) measurement system. :rolleyes:

1 Newton = 0.2248 Pounds force

:D

You would have to come up with something different than a Newton. The Newton is already a unit of force in the metric system, to be more specific in the SI (Systema Internacionalle) measurement system. :rolleyes:

1 Newton = 0.2248 Pounds force

:D

I just knew I should have copy-righted the Fig Newton Scale. Dang it.... think of the royalties I'm missing out on :D

Sigh. Another fortune lost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom