MAGICAL MEMORIES FROM THE ABYSS.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brownie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I don't know if I have chosen the right forum for this post, so mods please re-direct if I have chosen incorrectly.

It's been 12 very long months since I have been on a dive trip--I'm retired and often travel 4 or 5 times a year. My last adventures were Cozumel, Galapagos and the Red Sea (from Nov. 2019 through February 2020). I miss diving very much--will haul out my drysuit and venture into Lake Ontario in a few months.

I like to reminisce about special moments underwater. I am not a photographer, so I do not capture permanent images. What I do have etched in my brain are memories of images that stand out. For example, I recall a wall dive dive in Indonesia (maybe Bunaken). I was about 2 or 3 feet away from the wall. I noticed 2 scorpionfish in mid-water, ahead of me. They approached the wall, came to a stop, then nestled onto a ledge in close proximity to one another. They were now absolutely still, thus becoming part of the amazing and ever-changing tableau of marine life on a wall. This unfolded directly in front of me.

Again in Indonesia, I was viewing a pygmy seahorse on a sea fan (using my magnifier) when it unhooked itself, travelled a few inches across the fan and then re-attached.

And finally, the dive site was Monad Shoal, Malapascua Island (Philippines). We had viewed thresher sharks in hazy, turbid waters at a depth of 110+ feet (could barely see them). We ascended to shallow, clear waters (about 70 feet deep) for the balance of our dive. A thresher appeared about 5 feet away from me. I curled up to make myself small, still, and tried very hard to exhale few bubbles, fearful that I would scare him away. He stayed with us for at least a few minutes--such a thrill to see it so close up.

I am grateful for these memories-- they lift my spirit in these strange and stressful times.

I am grateful for these memories-- they lift my spirit in these strange and stressful times.

Nice dives it seems. And you hit the problem right on the button : diving is DEFINITIVELY therapeutic ! Hope to dive soon.

Hope everyone will be able to dive soon.

I don't know if I have chosen the right forum for this post, so mods please re-direct if I have chosen incorrectly.

the wonders we actually see do not translate well with photography, even tougher with the written word. You painted some nice pictures, @brownie , and even more importantly, it caused me to think of those similar moments.

Some, sheer wonderment observing creature behaviors, stuff most never see. Slow down, observe, dive more.

Then those seconds of absolute terror, also a rare thing. Learn something from this as I did.

yes, you got all of us thinking.

Back
Top Bottom