Mag Light conversion Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rescue15

Contributor
Reaction score
I really wish the answers to all these questions were all in one spot but they're not. I hope I can get all these questions answered.

1. I put the 2 1.8 mm glass lenses into my mag light but then there is no room to screw it in if you have an o-ring in place. Are 2 lenses needed to go down to 150 -180 feet? If so, how do you make the lenses adn o-rings fit?

2. Does anybody have a reliable source for the o-rings?

3. Can non metalic glands be used? Are they rudded enough?

4. Will someone post a couple of close up light head pics with the lenses and o-rings in place, with the light opened up so I can see the placement of the o=rings?

Thanks, Steve

1. DX lenses? I used the same. I also had the same problem. I simply sanded down the front edge of the head where the lens sits. The more you sand down the further the bezel will screw down with a thicker lens. Dont sand it down too far. I tested the 2 x 1.8mm lenses to 160ft (damn stupid thing was calibrated in ft/h2o. Must have been from early last century LOL) or about 50 meters in a pot. They didnt break but I much prefer using 3mm acrylic. If you sand it down to far you will not be able to use a 3mm acrylic lens. Check with your local plastic guru, they may have 3.5mm or even 4mm acrylic.
2. Yes I do but they are in New Zealand. They shouldnt be that hard to find. Ask your local hydraulic shop. They will know a place.
3. I use plastic glands. No issues at all. Infact they are superior in terms of no dissimilar metal galvanic corrosion.
4. The O rings go in place of the stock ones. One in front of the lens, one around the head below the bezel thread.

There is a place called Stewart Hose out of Lewisville TX that has plastic sheets, PVC, o-rings, gaskets, etc. I believe they are a chain with many branches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom