Question Made some bad decisions, advice appreciated!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
D
Reaction score
Some context - I went solo shore diving at midnight with little overall experience (less than 10 total dives logged) and no redundant air source. Yes, I know how bad that sounds but it went fairly well overall. I know just the first sentence alone is enough to merit my username but I did take precautions to make sure I was reasonably safe.

I researched the site I planned to dive and it was incredibly shallow, going from around 10ft-25ft in depth. After that, I was told that there'd be a steep drop off to 60 feet. I planned to just descend early and swim out to the drop off then back so that at any point if I somehow did panic or had an emergency I could surface immediately without any big issues.

During the dive, I reached the drop off point and decided to swim along the edge before heading back, but the drop off was visually much less steep than I expected so unbeknownst to me, I was descending much faster than I thought. When I checked my gauges again, I was already almost at 50ft. I didn't completely panic but I did make the poor decision of immediately inflating my BCD a bit (didn't fully inflate but I did hold the inflate down for a solid second or so). I began to ascend a bit too quickly and I immediately realized my mistake so I deflated a bit but only enough to slow the ascent. The visibility was poor and it was night so I didn't have much to judge my ascent rate once I lost site of the bottom. I surfaced soon after and although I'm a bit hazy on how long the ascent took, I didn't feel like it was particularly fast, definitely not shooting to the surface at least, but it was much faster than I would have liked.

I made a second bad decision and instead of swimming on the surface back to shore, I decided to descend back down to around 20 ft and swim back to shore underwater. Upon surfacing and reaching the surf zone I immediately felt a little nauseous but I attributed that to my general motion sickness and the 3 feet swells. However, I'm now slightly concerned about DCS since I've also been a bit itchy and now have a bit of back pain although the nausea is mostly gone now. It's been a couple hours since I finished the dive.

I know I'm most likely overreacting and the best advice would for me to learn some common sense and not put myself in positions like this to begin with, but I'm just wondering how likely it is for me to have minor DCS and if so, if it's necessary for me to seek treatment. Thanks in advance!

I THINK you are probably right about the nausea, and I suspect your body was tense for a majority of the dive which can make you sore.

But agree with grantctobin, a call certainly can't hurt. Stranger things have happened.

DW

I think descending back to 20 ft was probably a good idea - if we end the dive with a deco obligation the requirement is to descend and finish your obligation before you surface again. The issue might be that you didn't stay there long enough or do a safety stop? If I have this wrong I'm sure someone will be along to patiently & kindly correct me. :wink:

Call DAN to be sure. Have your computer ready in case they want you to read off info.

Thanks for the advice! I gave them a quick call and they said that I'm most likely in the clear for DCS and that I should just monitor my symptoms and call back if anything gets worse. The person I spoke with was more concerned that I might have held my breath on the ascent and I'm pretty sure I didn't.

And regarding what Kimela said about descending back down to 20, I called it a bad decision because I vaguely remember being told that descending again after a rapid ascent is a bad idea, I might have remembered that wrong though!

If you are concerned enough to be worried about possible DCS, it would never hurt to talk it over with DAN

That being said, your profile would seem to be at very low risk for DCS. If you were breathing normally, the risk for AGE would also appear to be very low.

Clearly, you are reevaluating some of your diving choices, this dive was not a good choice. Keep diving and improve your basic skills.

How long were you at 50ft? Look at your dive tables. Probably pretty low risk.

You won't get DCS on a single short dive to 50 feet.

The problem with your drop to 20ft to return to shore is that it is easy to get pointed in the wring direction. Do you have a compass? You really do need one for night diving. You dont mention if you hit the slope again which might allow you follow the slope to shore, but that does not always work if you hit a flat spot.

Go with an experienced buddy next time you try something new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom