Mad skills... The Oliver Stuart Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Mad Skills...

That's how Alex described Oliver Stuart, our dive master/tour guide/boat captian (of Cari'Bean Tours), as he dove into the blue abyss in search of the weight pouch that had slipped out of my BC during one of my dives. "Oliver has mad skills... He'll find it... if its down there, he will find it," Alex assured me as our boat of 7 divers looked into the water, wondering if Oliver would be successful in his mission. It took him about two minutes to find my weight pouch, even though I had lost it on a dive that had been a free descent/ascent, and had absolutly no idea when or where it had slipped out. In fact, we were already back in town on our surface interval when I finally decided to investigate my BC to find out why my weight had been off kilter during the last dive. Oliver drove back to the dive site to find it.

Recovering my lost weight pouch wasn't the last of Oliver's mad skills that we experienced in our week on San Pedro. We dove with him and his deck mate, Alex, for over a week. They were both very skilled divers and also fun to hang out with. Oliver is a great cook, and we were lucky enough to enjoy his BBQ twice during our trip. Amazing! On our last day, Oliver took us on a tour of his back yard, aka the Caribbean ocean, and it was seriously one of the best days of my life. We went diving, traded some fisherman some rum punch for fresh fish, went snorkling, enjoyed a beach BBQ on a lovely little island, drank our weight in rum punch, met Lobster Man, saw manatees, met the mayor of manatee town (long story), toured to Caye Caulker, and saw the sun set on the Caribbean. What an amazing day!

My recomendations for food on San Pedro: Warigumas, Pinocchio's, El Fogon, Wild Mango's and the little taco stand near El Fogon whose name I can't remember but whose fryjacks I always will. Best pina colada: El Patio. Things to do: dive, dive, dive, go on a beach BBQ with Oliver Stuart, drink lots of rum, tour the art galleries and shops (especially the ones on main street just south of town... "Orange" is way overpriced but the others on that street are awsome), play with the dog named Tequila at Pinoccio's, and last but certainly not least, get a massage and body scrub at the spa located in the Pheonix hotel. Seriously, that scrub was one of my vacation highlights. If you can't visit during Carnival, you should certainly visit during lobster season!

We've been home for a week... I dearly miss San Pedro, and our new friend Oliver. Sigh...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom