Macromate Mini Macro Lens Trial Run

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just back from Truk, where 35 wreck dives afforded lots of opportunity to try out my new GoPro rig. Although I didn't get MUCH use out of the Macromate Mini lens during my trip, I thought I'd share the results of my first time giving it a whirl. You should be able to play both at the same time:

[video=youtube;tfgYn8y6gGc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfgYn8y6gGc[/video]

[video=youtube;DQxQCvuRtpE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQxQCvuRtpE[/video]

Seems like it will work out well. Will need to work on getting a feel for the optimal distance... and getting my subject to stay still!

Sorry for rough output and lack of editing. Simply dropped them from camera right to Youtube.

I would think you need to be more still not your subject RJP. It was a good video but I did notice quite a bit of movement on your part while filming. Was there a current that was affecting the stability while filming? Which camera tray where you using in this video. Was it comfortable to film with. What lights did you use and what is your review on this rig that you tried out?

I would think you need to be more still not your subject RJP. It was a good video but I did notice quite a bit of movement on your part while filming. Was there a current that was affecting the stability while filming?

It wasn't for lack of trying. As you can see from the anemone waving, there was a bit of surge/current. I was back-kicking to keep off the wreck while trying to track the fish. If you're not familiar with the Macromate Mini. It has a very short (3") "lens to subject" distance and a very narrow field of focus. so I was constantly moving the camera left/right, up/down, and in/out. All that plus my 49yr old eyes trying to see that little ****ing fish on that little ****ing LCD screen...

:D

This was literally just a few minutes into my very first dive with the GoPro rig. I had several configurations I was playing with during the trip. I believe on this dive it was the Ikelite SteadyTray with Sola 1200's (set on 300 lumens) mounted via 1/2" LocLine arms.

It wasn't for lack of trying. As you can see from the anemone waving, there was a bit of surge/current. I was back-kicking to keep off the wreck while trying to track the fish. If you're not familiar with the Macromate Mini. It has a very short (3") "lens to subject" distance and a very narrow field of focus. so I was constantly moving the camera left/right, up/down, and in/out. All that plus my 49yr old eyes trying to see that little ****ing fish on that little ****ing LCD screen...

:D

This was literally just a few minutes into my very first dive with the GoPro rig. I had several configurations I was playing with during the trip. I believe on this dive it was the Ikelite SteadyTray with Sola 1200's (set on 300 lumens) mounted via 1/2" LocLine arms.

Yeah I presume that is why some of the steady shots I have seen when using the macro mini has been with a tripod.
It can be really challenging to get super steady footage at times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom