Macro + Zoom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chocolate

Contributor
Reaction score
I just had this weird idea. I found that when photographing a small creature U/W, it often gets away if we get too close. So, instead of getting right into the face of the creature, what about photographing in macro mode and zooming in on the object at the same time? Has anyone tried this? How will this turn out?

Based on a suggestion from Gilligan, I've been playing using the zoom more. Even though my camera locks out anything wider than F4.8 when zooming, I've been getting pretty good results good results. Still a bit soft, but not as grainy as an over cropped shot.

These Blue Banded Gobbies will sit still right until you get into a good shooting range before they zip into their hole. Then it's 5 minutes of waiting for them to come back out. Using the zoom lets me stay farther away so I'm less likely to spook 'em.

IMG_3145.jpg

As you zoom in, the depth of field decreases which is normally not a good thing. A macro lens adapter frequently allows you to take the shot from slightly further away without spooking the subject.

Depending on what your zoom factor is I found that if I zoom in too much I tend to get an unsharp picture.

justleesa:
Depending on what your zoom factor is I found that if I zoom in too much I tend to get an unsharp picture.
Probably due to a combination reduced depth of field and that the camera's focus becomes very finicky when you zoom in and focus on something close.
I zoom in all the time when doing macro work. Use a small aperture and, if it doesn't spook the subject, a spotting light to help the camera focus. I also found that if you need to zoom in fully (T) then tap the zoom lever back towards wide (W) a couple of times and helps the camera focus better.

Another thing you can do post-edit wise is to use the unsharp mask in PS to get the overall photo where you want it. If the target specimen is still not sharp enough but you don't want to oversharpen the rest of the photo, use the lasso tool and freehand outline the specimen then work with the unsharp mask on just the specimen.

unsharpmask.jpg

The Lasso tool is good for a quick fix. I personally prefer to use the Pen tool to draw the shape as it is very accurate. Best part is you can go back and move the points or change it to a curve. You can then convert the shape to a selection and use that for your sharpness processing.

The unsharpness while zoomed could also be due to camera shake. The more you are zoomed, the more likely your hand will cause some shake. Try bumping up the shutter speed a little.

In macro, the whole scene is pretty much strobe lit, so you can use some really really high shutter speeds if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom