Macro: Optimum Ext. Strobe Placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since I'm getting such an overwhelming response to my other post on an Inon D-2000, here goes...

For u/w macro shots, should I try to place the strobe as close as possible to the lens from above? Or from below the camera? Should the strobe be pointed directly at the subject (I presume if its a closeup macro that backscatter is not an issue) or should I aim it slightly off centered?

I would go slightly off center. Dropping a shaddow directly behind the subject is nice, I suppose, but if you set the light off a direct line, you can move the subject shaddow to one side above or below. By doing this you can generate a greater sense of depth in your photographs, especially if the subject is very close to a background.

the K

Right now I have 1 strobe and for the most part I have it coming from the side, fairly close to the lens and adjust the strength of the stobe accordingly....But in the end it all depends what I am taking a picture of and the desired effect. Sometimes I have it coming from the top and sometimes from farther away.

Good tip Kraken :wink:

One nice addition to the strobe is a diffuser. While diffusers are supposed to widen the flash coverage, they are necessary for some macro set ups. They cut the light output by at leasst a stop or more but add a very pleasing, available light look especially if the flash is somewhere in the 10:00 to 2:00 position. If you go with dual strobes you can actually place one behind the subject plane and sometimes obtain a neat highlight, like you would see on a persons hair in a formal portrait. Having various arm extension lengths can help give you more flexibility. Keep experimenting and write down what you did so that you can critically evaluate after the dive. Be generous with the "Delete" button as well!

pakman:
Since I'm getting such an overwhelming response to my other post on an Inon D-2000, here goes...

For u/w macro shots, should I try to place the strobe as close as possible to the lens from above? Or from below the camera? Should the strobe be pointed directly at the subject (I presume if its a closeup macro that backscatter is not an issue) or should I aim it slightly off centered?

From the above responses you can see that different people have had different responses by simply moving the strobe(s) to different locations. Side lighting, backlighting, 1 or 2 strobes etc will all have very different effects-none right or wrong but different. When you see your subject that is worthy of your film and tme take your "standard" front lit shot. Then take 6 more adjusting the way you light it. It is not always the subject but the way in which you capture it that matters. If I front light a subject my strobes are generally straight to outward, depending how close I need to get(remember your beam angle). Generally, if you use the edge of the beam angle you will have a softer light and minimize/eliminate backscatter-that applies to wide angle as well. I have just posted 85 images with several types of lighting techniques including a recently homemade snoot(red gorgonians). If you don't shoot the same image the same way all the time, it can always be a joy to see the results!

Back
Top Bottom