macro lens recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuggler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm gradually building my dslr rig and need a marco lens recommendation. I already have a Canon T1i, a Canon 17-40 L lens, and recently got a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye. Over the weekend I shot some wildflowers with the 17-40 lens and decided that I should get a macro lens to add to the collection. I know the nifty fifty is a popular topside choice; it's cheap, sharp, and fast. How does it perform underwater? Can any of you guys show me sample pics taken with this lens? What other macro lenses would you recommend that would be good for both topside and UW use?

Since you have a T1I I would suggest the 60mm macro as well. If you like extreme macro, then consider the new 100mm lens.

Since you have a T1I I would suggest the 60mm macro as well. If you like extreme macro, then consider the new 100mm lens.

I'm wondering why the 60mm is way more popular underwater than the 50mm. The 50mm is $300 less and is faster. (1.8 vs 2.8) What am I missing? :-\

The 60mm is a true 1:1 without an extra extention tube allowing for focus to infinity without changing the lens. The 50mm sigma will do the same if I recall. However, both macro 50mm lenses are not 1.8 or wider aperature. The standard (non-macro) 50mm 1.8 Will not focus close enough for serious macro. ( hence the desire for 1:1 true macro lenses).

Also, the 60mm, and exspecialy the 100mm, will alow some extra distance from your subject and a little less chance of scaring critters away.

Last edited:
The 60mm is a true 1:1 without an extra extention tube allowing for focus to infinity without changing the lens. The 50mm sigma will do the same if I recall. However, both macro 50mm lenses are not 1.8 or wider aperature. The standard (non-macro) 50mm 1.8. Will not focus close enough for serious macro. ( hence the desire for 1:1 true macro lenses).

Also, the 60mm, and exspecialy the 100mm, will alow some extra distance from your subject and a little less chance of scaring critters away.

Thank you for the explanation!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom