Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Judite

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a Canon G7X Mark II in a Fantasea housing. I’m getting a UCL-165 macro lens. I’m interested in finding a way to easily put the lens on the camera underwater. I’ve seen lens attachments that flip sideways (looks like these might be discontinued) and some that move to the side. I’m afraid I’ll drop the lens or scratch it if I take it out of a pocket to screw it on. Also- when I put it on, is there any problem with the water between the lens and the housing?

Hi Judite. You might have asked in the wrong place to get the best answers (this is about olympus cameras and associated gear). Anyway, I use a howshot mount for my UCL-165 that lets the lens swivel out of the way. This is a third party thing, so you just have to figure out what is compatible with your housing. I agree other options involving unscrewing are not very attractive. There is no problem with water between the housing and the lens, the optics are designed for this.

EDIT: looks like howshot makes a mount that might work for you. Wet Lens Mounts.

I can recommend both howshot (manufacturer) and divervision (retailer).

I have a Canon G7X Mark II in a Fantasea housing. I’m getting a UCL-165 macro lens. I’m interested in finding a way to easily put the lens on the camera underwater. I’ve seen lens attachments that flip sideways (looks like these might be discontinued) and some that move to the side. I’m afraid I’ll drop the lens or scratch it if I take it out of a pocket to screw it on. Also- when I put it on, is there any problem with the water between the lens and the housing?
No need to be paranoid about scratching the lens - dropping it is another thing altogether. The lens works with water between it and the housing; if you mount it prior to a dive, you will have to "burp" it to get the air bubble out. Do a search on 67mm flip adapters; they aren't cheap.

No need to be paranoid about scratching the lens - dropping it is another thing altogether. The lens works with water between it and the housing; if you mount it prior to a dive, you will have to "burp" it to get the air bubble out. Do a search on 67mm flip adapters; they aren't cheap.
I guess it depends on your definition of cheap. The one I (half-assedly) linked to is USD70. Not cheap compared to the lens in question, but cheap compared underwater photo gear prices. IMHO it pays for itself over a single dive trip, but of course that's completely subjective.

I use a bayonet system for my wet macro lens and wet wide angle so I can switch between lenses on a dive. A simple quarter turn and the lens locks in place. It beats trying to screw on a lens underwater. I also have a hold on a strobe arm that the lens locks into so it doesn’t have to ride in a pocket.

Technically, what you have is a UCL-165 close-up lens, which attaches to the outside of the camera’s port. It is not a macro lens, but allows macro photos.

There may be an attachment that allows it to be flipped out of the way easily. Talk to the manufacturer and see if they can help.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom