Macro focus question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got a SL DC 1400 and am generally impressed with the camera. Haven't gotten a chance to get it wet yet (next weekend).

I am generally impressed with the camera but have a concern with the macro focus. When I try to focus up close most of the time the focus will go through a very sharp focus and then settle on a blurry one. The blurry focus stays there even if I keep the shutter pressed 1/2 way for an extended time. Any suggestions? Clearly the camera CAN focus at the distance, just doesn't like to stay there.

Also FWIW a picture of my rig with 2 1000 lumen video lights - all DIY PICT0075.jpg

That model allegedly focuses at one inch.

The Aperture is supposed to range from f2.8(Wide) to f7.9(Tel). If you have it zoomed in, you'll need more light to achieve focus than you'll need at its widest setting.

Sometimes, if you're focusing on something that doesn't have any contrast, a lens will have to search for good focus.

OK, so I'm clear. The camera is CAPABLE of very close focus. Often times, but not always, as the camera tries to focus it will go THROUGH a very sharp focus (it is capable) but will settle on an out of focus setting. This is with adequate light and contrast.

As I have said the camera can focus nicely. I would like any suggestions on how to work the camera so it happens most of the time, rather than a small fraction of the time.

Sometimes it focuses better with it zoomed in (narrower FOV) rather than out, but I haven't been able to pin down all the variables and their effects.

Does it have a specific "macro" mode you have to get into?

Also, there may be a preferred zoom setting---i.e. all the way in, or all the way out.

Not familiar with that specific camera, sorry...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom