Macro and Wide shots with a HERO3 on a Similans liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toozler

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello there! Been gone for a while..

Had the chance to dive on the Similan Islands, top notch sites! Here are some clips I put together on a tablet app - no color/contrast correction whatsoever.

Shot in wide and narrow modes (for close-up shots) using an EelVision "BG" filter from Home - EelVision GoPro Accessories | EelVisionEelVision | GoPro Accessories . Depths between 14 and 18 meters. No lights used. Sorry for the shakiness, had to pack very light for this trip and could not bring a tray, just a small handle.

[video=youtube;Dev7ldxcBoI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dev7ldxcBoI[/video]

I find the hassle of switching between wide and narrow FOV annoying as hell. I really wish GoPro would allow us to assign the Wi-Fi button to do other functions. I rarely use the Wi-Fi.

Throw a diopter lens on your GoPro and you could get closer/sharper images.

I find the hassle of switching between wide and narrow FOV annoying as hell. I really wish GoPro would allow us to assign the Wi-Fi button to do other functions. I rarely use the Wi-Fi.

Completely agreed. I did not switch very often because it's a headache. I end up leaving on narrow or wide for the whole dive - afraid that a whale shark or a huge school of fish would show up when I had it on narrow shooting a nudi :wink:

I do have a +10 diopter rigges in front on the port. Medium mode causes no vignetting but the magnification effect is less.

I do have a +10 diopter rigges in front on the port. Medium mode causes no vignetting but the magnification effect is less.
That's the dilemma. The best close ups will come from narrow FOV. Knowing myself I will continue to fumble with the camera switching back and forth from wide to narrow until I get a "proper" camera.

What +10 diopter are you using and what are you attaching it to the front port with?

That's the dilemma. The best close ups will come from narrow FOV. Knowing myself I will continue to fumble with the camera switching back and forth from wide to narrow until I get a "proper" camera.

What +10 diopter are you using and what are you attaching it to the front port with?

Used a cheapo diopter from eBay bought on a 4 pack, it's screwed on a piece of acrylic which in turn was held by an elastic band around the housing.

("was" because I didn't tie it and dropped coming up from a dive :( )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom