Macro and The Weefine Ring light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvanant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
In a never ending quest to get a bit more magnification for tiny things and a bit more working distance, I bought the 1.4 teleconverter and an extension ring for my Oly 30 mm macro lens. Surprisingly it autofocuses fine and fits perfectly in the 60 mm port. (with maybe a half mm to spare). We took it out on Sunday to our local Palos Verdes dive spots where we found a bunch of cool critters. Unusual for us was to find a bunch of Janolus, we haven't seen them for the last 2 years but this year there are bunches. The other thing I did on this dive was to use the Kraken 3000 ringlight in flash mode as my only light source. Worked Pretty Well.
Enjoy

Bill

Attachments

• nudi 3.jpg
    nudi 3.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 131
  • shawl 2.jpg
    shawl 2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 125
  • shawl.jpg
    shawl.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 130
  • janolus stage.jpg
    janolus stage.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 134
Nice photos, lighting looks good. Which 1.4x, the Olympus? I thought the protruding front element would be an issue for fitting?? Are you fitting an extension tube between the 1,4x and the lens, if so which one?

Indeed, I am using an extension tube, the 12 mm Kenko. Needed a bit of tweaking but works ok, focus is fine.
Bill

Hi bill great photo's, what sort of tweaking did you have to do? I sold my 1.4x as it had little use for me, if I had known this would have held onto it.
This Oly 30mm is one of the most underated lenses that Oly has produced. I am amazed that many new macro guys buy the 60mm first, I would suggest to first time Macro photographers get the 30mm you may never need the 60mm.

The adapter ring was a little too thick to mate with the old 1.4. A bit of filing worked fine. The only issue with the 30 (I have used it extensively ) is that using external diopters with it is tough.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom