Macro advice for Hero 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howswedeofme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We have a trip coming up to Bali and Komodo and I’m looking to make a significant upgrade to my rig from pole + a PolarPro Switchblade red/macro filter (which I have been thoroughly unimpressed with) to a tray (likely boomerang style) and arms/video lights (deciding between Sola 2500 and Big Blue Black Molly V 2600).

Has anyone had any luck with macro shots using the Macromate mini? And should I add on a tripod? Should I downgrade back to the 5 to get the narrow FOV option or just go with linear with zoom set on dives where I know I’ll be doing primarily macro shots (i.e. night/muck dives)?

Comments/feedback on tray/lights welcome, as well.

I tried to use the Macromate Mini but never had much success. The depth of field is quite shallow which makes it hard to maintain focus on the subject. I think that you will struggle to get useable video if you are shooting handheld. If you really want to shoot macro, your money would be better spent on a point and shoot with wet lenses or a TG-4 or TG-5 in microscope mode.

A tray will provide a significant upgrade over a GoPole in terms of stability. There are many cheap options out there so you don't need to break the bank. There are lots of DIY options as well if budget is an issue.

Video lights in the 2500 lumen range are more than sufficient for macro but will not make much difference when you are shooting wide. I use a pair of Black Molly 3s and have found them to be quite adequate for macro. If I had to buy again, I would look for a light with a high CRI value (Ra95).

With the Hero6 your absolute minimum field of view is 50 degrees with the macromate mini your working distance is 3.5" which means your smallest size frame horizontally will be around 4.14 cm or 1.6"

Macro is 3.6cm wide or 1.4" I would not define what you get out of a GoPro macro but just extreme close up this is because the angle of view is too wide so you will not only see the subject but also a lot of what is behind this is clear if you compare a macro video taken with a camera with 20 degree field of view vs a gopro

Having said that if this is all you can do will be better than nothing. In terms of power of light even 800 lumens at 60 degrees are enough for macro so a pair of sola 1200 will be fine maybe 2000 or 2500 if money no object

For wide those lights will be totally inadequate shoot the gopro with a filter if you dont like yours get another one like a backscatter up to 50 version or a magic. Below this depth results will be poor and there is nothing you can do

To have proper wide angle lights we are talking about 10000+ lumens and in any case this cover up to a meter maybe 1.5 meters it is the reality of physics nothing you can do about

The lowest budget option for you is to get a tray with locline a pair of sola 1200 or 2000 and a better filter

With regards to a tripod that helps for sure but then you need to ensure your rig is very negative which means rigging a weight at the end as in Komodo there are currents that will sweep away your gopro tray and lights

My experience with the Macromate has been mixed. It can work, altho edges might be blurry. It works best for me on subjects like nudibranchs or frogfish, ie, critters that usually move little. It will work, but not as well, for subjects like juvenile sweetlips or juvenile batfish. But even with nudibranchs, that is not to say that I haven't had clips that go straight to the trash barrel, altho I prefer to attribute those to operator error and old age.

My experience with the Macromate has been mixed. It can work, altho edges might be blurry. It works best for me on subjects like nudibranchs or frogfish, ie, critters that usually move little. It will work, but not as well, for subjects like juvenile sweetlips or juvenile batfish. But even with nudibranchs, that is not to say that I haven't had clips that go straight to the trash barrel, altho I prefer to attribute those to operator error and old age.
Close up lenses are designed to work with narrow field of view and typically have fringing at the edges
As the gopro even at the narrowest field of view is still wide with respect to a close up lens you get edge distortion (more visible if you pan or move the camera) fringing (blue or yellow edges around the subjects) those issues cannot be eliminated even if you put the rig on a tripod you will see the blue edges and if the fish moves out of the frame you will see like a pull around it
Things like macromate help you take close ups but due to the physical limitations of the lens the quality will be worse compared to wide angle shots

I use the macro mate mini plus tray , tripod and lights. I have found it very good for slow moving invertebrates but much more difficult for fish. In the end I basically for territorial fish put it in place and get the focus right and move away for at lest 15 minutes. It does work.

I went for the Macromate mini and the tray with Big Blue Black Molly lights. I like that the Solas wouldn't flood but didn't like that once the battery was done for, the light was done for. I've had Big Blue torches that I've been happy with so I figured I would go with what I know. I did some pool work with the macromate and lights last week. The macromate is a huge improvement over the switchblade. I was able to get results I was happy with using the narrow FOV and digital zoom. I plan to do some macro-dedicated muck dives since I won't be able to change the zoom underwater. I don't plan to use the whole rig on heavy current dives, I'll just use a wrist mount and wide FOV with a red lens. I'm going to skip the tripod for now and see how I do without it. I remain hopeful that I'll get decent results in an uncontrolled environment but only time will tell.

Recommend not skipping the tripod, as something simple like a gorilla with flexible arms will give you shots you’ll be unable to get otherwise. Figure out the behavior pattern, set up where the critter stops regularly, then back off until the critter circles back. It also gives you the ability to get in the shot with your buddies, which can be fun.

Like others have said, lights make a huge difference. I have a Sola 1200 video/focus light that I like, but the non-replaceable battery and sometimes temperamental controls make other options more attractive lately.

Have fun, go slow, and be patient. The shots will come.

Lance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom