Mackinaw City 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, we all survived the trip!!! As a matter of fact, I think the only thing that I lost was my pride and dignity after a night of the pub crawl.

We did two dives each day, after a hearty breakfast of eggs and whitefish! After the dives, we refilled our tanks, and then took off on the fudge and beer crawl! Mackinaw City has lots to offer and we only scratched the surface. One highlight is that I finally had a chance to see the laser show that I missed last year.

We had 4 days of great diving- depths ranged from 65' to 120' and temps were downright balmy in the mid 40s. We dove the Cedarville, the Eber Ward, the Maitland, the Young, the Barnum, and the Minneapolis. On the last day, we had the pleasure of diving with Doug and his son Travis. I skipped the last dive due to a neckseal leak, but it was an interesting experiment on how well my Weezles would stand up to 43f water!

I don't have any good pictures of the Cedarville, since I was still mastering the whole art of underwater photography :D The Cedarville is a 588' freighter that sank in 1965. This was the only steel wreck we dove and she is a big 'un- almost as big as the Bradley!!

Next we dove the Eber Ward, which is a 213' steamer that sank in 1909. She is very much intact and she even sports some Great Lakes porcelain. In the third picture, you might be able to see an anchor in the background.

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2215.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

Here are some pictures from the Maitland, which is a 133' bark that sank in a triple collision in 1871. The gash that sank her is quite evident. Her masts were salvaged shortly after she sank, so the mast holes are empty.

IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

The William Young is a 138' schooner-barge that sank in 1891. The ship is very much intact and includes the windlass, deadeyes, the wheel and many other artifacts.

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

We dove the William H Barnum on a calm day. The Barnum is a 218' wooden steamer that sank in 1894 due to ice. This is a fun wreck to dive since the decking is partially collapsed and exposes a large part of the ship. The pictures I have don't do her justice.

IMG_2348.jpg

Lastly, we dove the Minneapolis, which is a 226' wooden steamer that sank in 1894, one day after the Barnum sank. Her HUGE rudder lies behind her stern, but the propeller is very much intact.

IMG_2404.jpg

Thanks to Brett, Jeff, Doug, and Travis for making the dives safe and enjoyable and thanks to Greg Such of Shipwreck Adventures for putting together a world class trip!

Look at that glassy water!

IMG_2342.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pictures. The wrecks up there are great. I'm looking forward to a trip up there later this year.

lovely! ...do something about that backscatter on the toilet though...

just kidding. Hey, I thought of you, I have Argon in my new windows.

Great job with the camera Tony! It was good to see you again.

Great trip report, Do It Easy! I like the capstan shots.

Don't often get glassy flat water like that.....

lovely! ...do something about that backscatter on the toilet though...

just kidding. Hey, I thought of you, I have Argon in my new windows.

I c JB in one of those pics. Boy he has come a long way in his diving :14::wink1:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom