Mach V Signature vs. Freedom Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roelf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello out there,

I was told today that the OxyCheq Mach V Signature wing is not compatible with the Freedom Plate. Heard that for the first time and was quite disappointed about it, as I thought about buiding a rig with these two. I remember having read somewhere that Eric made the FP to work with OxyCheqs.
So I decided to ask here at scubaboard. Any facts/opinions/suggestions?
I considered using the 30 lbs wing. What about the 18 lbs wing? Any difference in compatibility?

Thanks,

Roelf

I have used my Freedom Plate with my 18# Signature, my 30# Signature and my 30# Extreme - with no problems.

In fact, Eric, the inventor/manufacturer of the Freedom Plate, designed it for the OxyCheq Wings.

Thank you TN Traveler,

exactly the point. As I said, I've read that Eric made the FP to work with the OxyCheq wings. So no idea why it shouldn't work with the Signature wings. I guess you have the "rail version" of the FP.

I will go and tell my dealer:blinking:

Thank you once again,

rlf

Yes - mine came with the rail permanently attached to the plate - but I think the new version with the detachable rail is a great idea. I just find it is the most comfortable BP I have used - even more comfortable than my OxyCheq Ultra-Lite (which I use for travel to tropical locations with warm water and using no/minimal thermal protection and when you want to travel lite).

The Freedom Plates main requirement is going to be that the wing has cam band slots, since it uses the cam bands to hold the wing in place. I see "most" Freedom Plate users diving the Mach V wing. It makes a very nice combination.

The 18# wing would be awesome for the tropics!

... I was told today that the OxyCheq Mach V Signature wing is not compatible with the Freedom Plate...

Your information is incorrect, regardless of the rail configuration. There are plenty of photos in several configurations on the board that demonstrates otherwise.

Well thanks to all of you!

Meanwhile my dealer has admitted that he was wrong:wink:

Now it's just a question of choosing the right wing.

Peter C says 18 lbs is great for tropics - what about the Mediterranean (Malta)? You think that the 18 lbs might be sufficient? I'm a bit over 6'2'' with 240 and had 16 lbs of weight last year on Bonaire, with shorties - expect that to come down with more experience. On Malta it's 5 mm full suit and I'm not quite sure if 18 lbs might be sufficient.

Your opinion/advice?

... On Malta it's 5 mm full suit and I'm not quite sure if 18 lbs might be sufficient.

For someone your height, the additional size of a 30 LB Mk5 probably would not matter in the water — added luggage space and a small weight increase yes. Since it is hard to dial your weight in super close and pick your tank's bouyancy characteristics when traveling, the 30 LB wing offers more lattatude when wearing a full suit more than 3mm. It also depends on depth/suit compression. A 5mm suit at 50 meters does not have much bouyancy left.

... exactly what I thought about but could not find a solution (or even put it into words...).

Really don't know what bottles they might have down in Malta, and conditions might be completely different at the next location I'm travelling to. So it might be reasonable to be prepared for the worst.

I will do the AOWD on Malta and that includes the Deep Diver specialty. So your argument regarding depth seems rather important. I'm purely recreational, not into Tech diving (yet), so I guess we won't be deeper than 40 m.

I guess I'll have the 30 lbs wing and check out how it works while I gain more experience.

I would also suggest the 30# wing - it will give you a margin of safety.

I carry all my weight on my cambands and in pockets on my waist strap - I'm 6'2" 220# and use about 12# of total weight (12# lead with the UltraLite Plate and 10# lead with the Freedom Plate). with a 3mm suit in salt water with AL Tanks (I can get by with 10#, but is dicey if I pull the tank down below 600#). The 18# wing will just float the rig, if I get out to it - so wearing anything more than a 3mm requires the 30# wing. If you wear a weight belt, you might be OK with the 18# wing - but the 30# Mach V is still small and you would hardly notice the difference in size and weight. With 16# of lead, I would definitely go with the 30#

Hope that helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom