Mach V Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSpicher

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey 2 questions about this wing...

1. How big of a difference is there between the regular Mach V and the Extreme addition? Is the toughness of the regular wing not sufficient for most people or is the Extreme that heavyduty? What conditions would say the Extreme is more of a must have than a luxury?

2. What is the size difference in the #30 and #40 when it is not inflated? Is the difference going to create a noticable amount of drag?

Thanks for your input!

i don't own either wing (i'm using a mach v razor 30 instead), but i'll give you the standard answer and others can elaborate:

1. How big of a difference is there between the regular Mach V and the Extreme addition? Is the toughness of the regular wing not sufficient for most people or is the Extreme that heavyduty? What conditions would say the Extreme is more of a must have than a luxury?

regular mach v is among the toughest wings out there in comparison to other brand wings, but mach v extreme is significantly tougher.

regular wing toughness is fine. the extreme material is just a luxury for people who like the cool factor + a little extra peace of mind because even regular wings break sometimes. the extreme material is not a must in any normal dive situation, but aside from the cool factor, it seems most appreciated by technical wreck divers because their wings sometimes brush against sharp metal underwater. the rxtreme material is also lighter in weight than the regular stuff, and doesn't (or didn't used to at least) have the oxycheq brand written on the side with big yellow letters.

2. What is the size difference in the #30 and #40 when it is not inflated? Is the difference going to create a noticable amount of drag?

Thanks for your input!

if the difference manifests in greater wing length, then it adds virtually no drag assuming you maintain good trim while moving through water. however, i'm guessing 30# and 40# wings are the same length, but the latter is wider, so yes it adds drag. even if the wing's inner bladder is empty, the outer shell is still flapping in the breeze/current like a piece of cloth you stick out of a moving car window (except for the crazy flapping). big cloth = more drag.

also, bigger bladders may require more effort to vent, at least when there is only very little air left inside. for example, image you have enough air in the wing to create 6# of positive buoyancy. that is, the smaller wing would be 20% full, the bigger wing would be 15% full. Suppose a bubble/s that takes up 15% of the wing don't automatically reach the rear dump valve (say they are stuck higher at the sides of the wing, or on the other side), then you need to tilt head down enough to maneuver the bubble (or some of it) below the rear dump valve. obviously a 20% size bubble is easier to move around than a 15% size bubble. and same logic applies even if you use the power inflator...

ok, so that's the theory. in practice you may or may not be able to tell any difference between the two wings. both have a very streamlined design so any venting/drag issues should be minimal, but as i said, i haven't used these wings so take my reply fwiw.

You may want to contact Patrick at Oxycheq. I have the 40# Mach V Extreme. There is about an 8lb difference. 30=32actual. They are both low profile wings designed for speed with the 40 being a little wider. There was a thread on SCUBAToys about it. The Extreme is very heavy duty. I got it because it was on sale. No need for the Extreme. The normal Mach V is sufficient, but if intending to get slammed onto rocks, speared by your buddy, or holed with something sharp, the Extreme is nice.

Thanks for your input!

A Quote from Patrick on a prior thread.

The only difference between the Extreme Series and the Signature Series is the outer shell. The Signature Series Shell is 1000 Cordura backed with 5 ounces of urethane. The Extreme shell utilizes Superfabric. Superfabric is a piece of material that has composite guards adhered to the fabric. The guards are geometric shapes butted up against each other so that you retain flexibility while still having a hard shell for protection.

The 40 is not much larger in size than the 30. In the past, we sent out 40s when a dealer wanted 30s. It is easy to do if you do not look at the label. They difference in size is that small.

Some people can dive the 30 with a larger cylinder, but much depends on their total equipment configuration (including thermal protection). However, most people diving larger cylinders purchase the 40. Some instructors prefer the 40 for reasons related to teaching classes.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq

Hope this helps. FYI- I have the 30# Extreme and love it.

Keith

Thanks Keith! I read that post, but am looking at buying the 40# (since it is on sale at ST)... I am glad to see that there are happy Oxycheq users though. Thanks everyone!

Thanks Keith! I read that post, but am looking at buying the 40# (since it is on sale at ST)... I am glad to see that there are happy Oxycheq users though. Thanks everyone!

Please note: They sell both for the same price. The drop down doesn't have the 30# listed as an option but they do carry it. I just bought Sharon one 3 weeks ago from ST since she liked mine. I just listed in the Special Instructions that I wanted the 30#. They shipped it the next day.

Just wanted you to know since I just went through this myself. Since the price is the same, (30# or 40#) make sure you get the wing you want.

Keith

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom