MacAbee Shipwreck??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a fairly new diver and dove MacAbee (Monterey) for the first time this last Saturday (5/19/18). After our second dive, we were chatting with a couple of other divers who told us about a ship wreck (circa 1901). They gave us some general directions -- about a 060 degree heading from center beach in about 38 feet of water.

Does anyone know anything about this wreck? I understand that there isn't much left of the hull, but the chains are pretty recognizable.

They must be talking about the Gipsy it ran aground in September 1905 but I don’t know if you will recognize much. 60 is pretty much straight out from the beach and if I remember correctly it is a little to the left of that heading out from the beach but be careful heading that direction there are some rocks that reach the surface and you can get pushed up into them. I dive there quite a bit we use it for open water classes in fact we did two dives there Sunday there is lots of leftovers from the Cannery days to look at.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom