M28 Firmware Follies . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigbella

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What was I thinking, after that abortion that was the last big firmware release from Poseidon, from 2019 -- which took a lengthy set of after-market instructions from DGX, to save everyone's ass?

I decided that I may as well perform the latest firmware update, during the height of the covidiocy, from November 2020. Why not do a few sets of push-ups on broken glass?

RbConfig Tool - For PC & MAC Version 1.42
You will be able to connect your Poseidon SE7EN to your computer via Bluetooth, analyze dive logs, have a live data feed from your rebreather, make adjustments and update.
Or connect your M28 via the CAN USB cable.

As usual, there were only four pages of instructions, for its installation. What could possibly go wrong?

The installation went well and was refreshingly simple; though an odd issue crept up, shortly afterwards. For some reason, my previously, fully-charged computer now only showed a 91% capacity; and I hadn't any battery issues before that update.

The new software did offer a venue of online support from Poseidon; and I sent an inquiry:

"Strangely, after doing a firmware update, the maximum charge that the M28 will achieve, is now only 91%. I don’t know whether that is simply a coincidence; or whether the battery now has a problem. According to the diagnostics, the battery is in good shape.

"Also, I have never been able to get the GPS to work" . . .

Poseidon Support
Sun, Jan 31, 9:04 PM

"The "91% charge" issue is a FW bug that we're working on to resolve. It will be fixed in one of the coming FW updates.

"The GPS seems to be working some times, depending on where you are in the world. It's an issue that we are also working on, but currently, there are no 'quick fixes' for that problem."

That comment about the GPS functionality almost had be do a spit-take with my coffee. Not that I really give a rat's ass about GPS (I generally have a grasp of where I am, and it's useless underwater); but it would be nice if the damn thing worked -- and didn't perennially show a map of Scandinavia -- not that I haven't had some memorable times there . . .

It seems it is tricky to palaver the M28 to charge 100%.
Some times it is ok and some times not.
I have tried to find an algorythmus but i have not found any rule...
Poseidon knows this bug and i think the resolve this problem.
But charging only 90% is not a problem (for me).
Regards
SigiSolo

You may find if you let the M28 battery run down to below 50%, it will then begin to charge to 100%

That was the first thing that I attempted -- having had devices with similar batteries/

It remains pegged at 91% -- an admitted software glitch, from the Swedes . . .

I'm hoping the next version shows up before spring. Since updates are always "interesting" and with the time-zone difference, support isn't a quick process. I'd to miss dives due to a busted updated. I keep hoping to develop a love for the M28, but I still prefer my Shearwaters and tolerate the M28 to run their rebreather.

I think this is generally not a big problem...
The M28 need so much power, so you should charge the M28 at least every 2 days (in two days the power is empty).
And if there a 10% charge more or less it doesn't matter...
By
SigiSolo

I think this is generally not a big problem...
The M28 need so much power, so you should charge the M28 at least every 2 days (in two days the power is empty).
And if there a 10% charge more or less it doesn't matter...
By
SigiSolo

That issue of a "missing" nine percent charge, isn't really the point; and I am well aware of the high M28 energy usage. It is simply, when I have had similar battery issues, in the past -- incomplete charging -- that usually indicated either an imminent or eventual battery failure . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom