M Zuiko 14-42mm questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan B.

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm reasonably happy with my M Zuiko 14-42mm all-purpose lens on my E-PL5, particularly if I'm just lookin' around, but they give a bit of trouble. I understand an internal electronics connecting strip (not the proper term) gets overstretched with usage and functions start degrading. I've been through a couple of them (after initially thinking the camera was at fault) and assume I will again. As such, any suggestions for a replacement? I understand the Zuiko 14-42 for Olympus' 'full size' 4/3 cameras can be used on a Micro 4/3 (MFT) like the E-PL5 with the use of a spacer. If so, does it have the same diameter so that the Olympus focus gear would fit thereon? The same question would apply to Panasonic lenses, like the Lumix G Vario 14-42mm. It's said to be compatible with the Olympus MFT, but would it demand a different focus gear for use in an Olympus housing?

I never had an issue with 14-42. But sure they are cheap, and you can see that as well, premium zuikos have much better threads on the mounting. 14-42 is not the best lens for u/w usage, I would look at 7-14 or 9-18 for wide angle and 60mm for macro. Olympus and Panasonic MFT lenses are interchangeable. Panasonic lenses have the optic stabilizer embedded in the lenses (Olympus has it integrated in the camera). What matters is that the lens is fitting into the port and you have a fitting focus gear. What focus gear will fit to what lens is normally provided by the housing manufacturer.

I would look at 7-14 or 9-18 for wide angle and 60mm for macro.

Add the OLY 8-25mm (best for WA IMO) and 8mm for fisheye :)

Thanks, I have both the 9-18 and the 60mm, but I enjoy the range of the 14-42mm (with external diopters) for flexible "just lookin' around" dives from large nudibranchs to mantas. I guess my real question is whether anyone knows about fitting a Zuiko--not M Zuiko--14-42mm or the Lumix G Vario lens into a PT-EP10 housing. Olympus doesn't share any information about focus gear compatibility with these lenses.

Thanks, I have both the 9-18 and the 60mm, but I enjoy the range of the 14-42mm (with external diopters) for flexible "just lookin' around" dives from large nudibranchs to mantas. I guess my real question is whether anyone knows about fitting a Zuiko--not M Zuiko--14-42mm or the Lumix G Vario lens into a PT-EP10 housing. Olympus doesn't share any information about focus gear compatibility with these lenses.

This page from Backscatter lists the lenses supported for this housing:

Thanks, that's very helpful (though, oddly, they list the Oly12-40mm which is too wide for the port housing). They mention the 'full' size 14-42mm, but don't mention the insert. I just looked up its diameter, which is 66mm, far larger than the M Zuiko's 56.5, so that would demand a different ZOOM (not 'focus', sigh) gear. Nor do they mention the Panasonic 14-42mm, but its diameter is 56mm, which should accommodate with my present zoom gear--if it overlaps the, um, part that extends/retracts the zoom. My question is now reduced to, has anyone tried that (Panasonic 14-42mm Lumix G Vario lens on an E-PL5 in a PT-EP10 housing using the Olympus M Zuiko 14-42mm lens zoom gear)? Almost there! Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom