LX7 is ordered

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The YS-01 has quite a punch and unless you get an Inon Z240 or a YS-D1 there is nothing stronger at this level it will work fine even for CFWA up to a few feet
The camera lens is very sharp it does not need small apertures like other cameras. The ULCS and arms work perfectly fine too sure your wife will be pleased

Okay, I miss-read what was being said. I see now you're talking about the Inon lenses.

Ron, I already forgot who I ordered it from. I guess I'll see it soon enough on the credit card bill. All I remember is that the housing is 2x the cost of the camera!

I'm still undecided on the arms and tray. First I was going to do the locline arms, then I was thinking I do like the regular segmented arms, then I was wondering if I could avoid the dual handles and use 2 ultralight's buoyancy arms as the handles...

.. then I saw this! Now I'm trying to figure out how to do that, a built in tripod looks awesome!

Any of you geniuses that can figure out a parts list to make that work on the Nauticam housing let me know and I will owe you a beer.:cheers:

Unless you have them already aluminum segments and arms are not needed for video
My ultralight tray, handles and locline arms costs $125+$36=$161 total plus a few bolts if you go into metal arms and clamps you are adding quite a lot
It depends on the lights you want to use, with Sola 1/2" locline is plenty in water

Looks like ULCS standard arms and joints with right angle adapters connecting to the tray. If the Nauticam housing had a 3rd mounting hole on the bottom you could skip the tray all together and have the arms connect direct to the housing. You could also get the ULCS tripod clamp and connect directly to the housing. ULCS stuff is not cheap though.

http://www.ulcs.com/NewTripodclamp.jpg

Wow, now you have my thinking about how I could set my system up for shooting macro video.

Interceptor, you have a tripod setup ? I don't recall seeing it. Thought you had a tray with 2 arms for lights/strobes.

Last edited:
No I don't have a tray tripod solution. If I am not using lights I can use the lights themselves on the floor to keep the camera and I have a hole on the tray where I can place a gorillapod but so far I have not used it as I like to keep my hands on the camera to keep control of focus when I shoot macro, I do not think my macro is as shaky so I have not bothered too much
When I go to Lembeh I have a few things I will tray but I need to resolve the issue of the tray floats being in the way of the tripod blades that I would fix on the handles nuts
The nauticam housing has only three holes

Looks like ULCS standard arms and joints with right angle adapters connecting to the tray.

I've been trying to figure out what parts would do it, but am having no luck. I've tried to call Ultra Light but nobody answers, now I've sent an email, as their online request form on their website is broken.

What are you planning to shoot Mike that you feel you need a tripod? So far the smallest things I had to shoot were pygmy seahorse as they are in fans over walls I could not use a tripod anyway
Tripod seem more interesting for situations with shy fish like garden eels but with the LX7 you can full zoom to catch those

I really like my coffee. That may or may not have something to do with my abilities at shooting macro video. For me, I need a tripod. I could get away shooting photo, but for video, I am not steady enough without one. If you are new to shooting macro, you could always give handheld a shot and only get a tripod if you need one.

For sure shooting with a tripod is better when possible

With the tray I have it is possible to either have handles with 1/4" or larger. In both cases it should be possible to screw a ball adapter under the tray and then attach an arm, this does not give three legs but only two however there is a third hold on the tray in the middle that can also be used either to attach a full tripod or as third leg
so in theory it is possible to have some solution with the ULCS TR-DM that goes with the LX7 housing

What are you planning to shoot Mike that you feel you need a tripod? So far the smallest things I had to shoot were pygmy seahorse as they are in fans over walls I could not use a tripod anyway
Tripod seem more interesting for situations with shy fish like garden eels but with the LX7 you can full zoom to catch those

Not sure, just the critters that you find. It's more the quality of the video that intrigues me of the rock steady video that results from shooting with an underwater tripod.

I emailed Ultralight yesterday and sent them a picture of the setup in the video I posted earlier. They responded with an offer to give them a call and see what they could help put together, so as soon as I get a chance I'm gonna call them and see what we can figure out.

---------- Post added April 10th, 2013 at 03:01 PM ----------

Just got off the phone with Ultralight, Terry and Dave there are amazingly helpful!

Dave and I went over the entire configuration based on the picture of the setup I had emailed them and he is shipping a complete setup to create the underwater tripod as pictured in that video. When it comes I'll post a picture and a parts list for anyone interested in doing one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom