LX7 is ordered

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ordered the Panasonic LX7, the Nauticam housing and the Wet Mate dome a few days ago. Should be arriving shortly.

Planning a trip to Rangiroa and Bora Bora for late May so I have until then to get up and running.

Still deciding on arms and lights and a case for it all.

Looks good Interceptor. What white balance did you use ? Bare lens shots look ok. On the bare lens close up on the drum were you using any zoom ?

What happened to the Subsee diopters? Looks like you're using a 67m screw on Inon in the video?

What happened to the Subsee diopters? Looks like you're using a 67m screw on Inon in the video?

I don't use subsee too cumbersome.
I have an inon UCL165 in those shots. Today I also tried two stacked lenses and full intelligent zoom I literally shot the eye of a shrimp.
I use old AD lenses with an m67 adapter

Looks good Interceptor. What white balance did you use ? Bare lens shots look ok. On the bare lens close up on the drum were you using any zoom ?

I used custom white balance on sand for ambient and 6500K for shots with lights
On the drum shot I had been on a wreck dive so only had a wet lens and a diopter as the fish is skittish I kept distance and zoom around 50mm

Hi Interceptor,
that's very nice! I have another white balance question: did you use a filter of any sort? The WB looks great, even at 36m, for ungraded footage.
Cheers,
Matthew
(Pana GH2 user)

Hi Interceptor,
that's very nice! I have another white balance question: did you use a filter of any sort? The WB looks great, even at 36m, for ungraded footage.
Cheers,
Matthew
(Pana GH2 user)
Hi Matthew
No filter used on the Bianca C I balanced on my hand if I recall. With the lx7 you can fine tune the WB so I set magenta at +2 as it was quite green down there however I have later found out that if you leave it alone the colours are good already. Maybe the camera edges a bit towards the dark blue. I had many times issues with scene too bright on a white slate Omsk ended up using sand or hand

Looks like you did not have any of the white balance problems Backscatter had. Now that you have dove with the LX7, do you still prefer it to the RX100 ? Is one better than the other at photo, video, both ?

Looks like you did not have any of the white balance problems Backscatter had. Now that you have dove with the LX7, do you still prefer it to the RX100 ? Is one better than the other at photo, video, both ?
Am not sure about the issues backscatter had with white balance. For sure the Auto white balance in water performs badly on the other hand I would only use that with a filter and I did not try with one. I had several issue with 'scene too bright' for white balance that I resolved with my hand or sand. I think a matt slate will do wonders.
Backscatter also said that all wide angle lens vignette and that is not true anymore as Nauticam have released a shorter port for the LX7 that works fine at 28mm with the Inon UWL-H100. I also found the ergonomics of the LX7 incredibly better than the RX100, the fact that you have always the same controls for aperture and shutter for me is a plus not a drawback.

For what I can tell at this time I prefer the LX7 to the RX100 for video. For photos I have not really done a stress test but the lack of a fisheye lens for the LX7 is a big handicap, so for pictures I would stick with the RX100 especially as you can see the 20 megapixels in a still that in video you don't see.

Overall I would say that if your main interest is photo with occasional video than RX100 is best. If it is video with occasional photo (especially macro) than LX7

I am putting together the footage in few days to a week I should have a proper video of this trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom