Luxury Service Dive Ops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waynel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are experiened divers (AOW) and we make two dive vacations a year. But while on those trips, we dive hard. While my wife loves the diving, at least once a year she wants a "luxury" dive trip. We dive the Keys and Cozumel a lot and we lug our own gear, rinse it, store it, etc. However, last summer we stayed at Belizean Shores Resort and dove with Tuff e Nuff (Feli and Billy) which is right on BSR docks...and she got her "luxury" dive trip.

Needless to say, my wife loved not having to touch any gear other than to put it on and roll off the boat. They had it ready to go in the morning, rinsed and stored it overnight, etc. So now to my question...

She want's to dive with Tuff e Nuff, however she also wants to stay at Ramon's Village (fell in love with their gardens). I doubt Tuff e Nuff will travel that far to pick us up at Ramon's (BSR must be at least 4 miles away). So, what service do you get at Ramon's dive op?

Most dive ops on Ambergris will set your gear up for you then rinse it after diving and have it ready for you on the next day of diving.

Some people love that some prefer to take care of there own gear as I do .

I think if you ask Rico at T enuff they will come and pick you up each day from Ramons.

Gaz

Thanks. I was hoping someone from Belize would respond. I will call Rick and ask. I just wanted to an opinion first. I read a report on another site that Ramon's has a rinse tank and lockers, so naturally I envisioned Cozumel. Personally, I prefer to handle my gear from start to finish. My wife is a good diver. She'd take on Devil's Throat in Coz in hearbeat, but she does like some pampering every now and then. Thanks again my friend.

Are you only looking at Belize? There are a number of places in various dive destinations that do some variation of the valet diving thing if that's what you want.

No, we'll consider other places. We just don't want to spend 8 hours getting there from Lafayette, LA. Any suggestions? If so please do a private email. This is, after all a Belize site and people expect to read about Belize on it. Thanks.

I stayed at Ramon's in Jan. of 2007. I wasn't in the furthest away room, but I timed it and it was a 45 second walk to my gear locker, which is right on the pier across from their dive shop. It was about 50 or so feet from my gear to the boat. Maybe less? The tanks were on the dock in front of the boat. You'd set your bc and reg up, then they'd put your rig on the boat. They switched the gear between dives. After your 2nd dive, you'd walk the 50 feet back to the gear locker house where there was a rinse tank and shower. Nice rinse tank/s if I recall.

It was some of the most convenient diving I've done. Surface intervals were back at Ramon's. The first day we were there it was kinda cool, windy and rainy. There was nothing so sweet as trotting back to my room and getting under a warm shower for a minute or two. Then back to the boat. I think my divemaster was Turriano (?). He was excellent as were the two other guys on the boat who were in their late teens I think. They were very friendly and helpful. Great crew. All the gear was at the back of the boat. When it was your turn, you'd go to the back, they'd help you get your gear on, and in you'd go.

So really, it's just a matter of rinsing your gear and carrying it 50 feet or so twice a day. Sure felt like luxury to me. I just did another Cozumel trip in March and I stayed at Casa del Mar and did some diving with Scuba Shack (among others) which is right across the street. If you dive with Scuba Shack, you can use a locker which is probably 30 steps from their boats. Fantastic. Ramon's was even easier than that.

-Blair

I only know one dive shop here that sets up your gear even if you don't want them to. All others will offer to do it but will follow your wishes. Between dives most will change your tank, and if you don't want them to you have to specify that very clearly and then keep an eye on them. Sadly it is common practice here to depressurise the system and remove the first stage while the boat is still at sea on the way back. Almost all dive staff here mount a reg on a tank without first checking there is no water in the valve. The staff at my shop didn't do that because I trained them otherwise, but most people have never thought what happens to that water when they turn the air on.

One person's "luxury" is another person's incompetence.

The experience I have had with dive shops in town is that they all change your tanks for you and rinse your gear unless you tell them otherwise, so you are free to enjoy your surface interval. With most dive shops you can leave your gear with them and they have it ready for you when you arrive in the morning, very few have lockers thou.

Megan

Thanks for the input. I've only used Tuff e Nuff and specifically Billy and Felicito. Excellent "valet" service. If the first stage wasn't on the tank it was always capped (every reg should have 'em). Believe me, I watched them very closely on the first day. And I never enter the water without another final full gear check (even when I set it up myself). The crew took care of the gear like it was their own. On the last day, before packing our BC's, I gave them a good squeeze on the patio at our room. Just curious. Not a drop of salt water. Went to the dock and dropped another nice tip on the crew.

We always handle our own gear, except for the trip I've just mentioned. Gotta confess...it was very nice. It's like going out to dinner. We usually cook our own food at home (and clean up), but sometimes it nice to pay someone to do it for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom