Luxfer back in the scuba business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane

Contributor
Reaction score
I already posted this on TDS but thought I would mention it here as well.

According to this webpage, Luxfer is now back in the scuba business, with a few slight changes. XS Scuba is now the only distributor for the United States, and Luxfer is only making four cylinders (actually three different sizes, the Al80s will be available in two different finishes):

Luxfer cylinders are available in the following limited sizes & finishes:

LAL40BNC Aluminum 40 cu ft with Brushed Finish
LAL80BNC Aluminum 80 cu ft with Brushed Finish
LAL80NF Aluminum 80 cu ft with Natural Finish
LALW106 Aluminum Composite Limited 106 cu ft with White Finish

The paragraph right under that is what really interests me, especially the first part:
The original tooling is being used to maintain the same specifications, buoyancy and weight distribution.

It sounds as if they are making sure we know that the cylinders will be (or should be, at least) exactly the same as the ones that were made previously. This is great -- same buoyancy and weight characteristics for stage/deco cylinders.

Love the natural finish. Shame they don't make the 40 in it.

I have two Al80s brushed and one in the natural finish. Unfortunately I haven't found anyone around here who carries it...but since it will be only one of two options from now one perhaps it will be more prevalent. :D

Brushed or natural, I'm good with either.

Wow... I didn't even realize they hadn't been producing tanks recently... but then my newest main tank is from 1976.

Um, before you get all giddy over them making cylinders again, you might want to first check out the new prices...

This LALW106 Aluminum Composite Limited 106 cu ft with White Finish seems interesting. I wonder how the market will be for them at $500/each?

I wonder why they call it "Limited"?

Too Bad you can't really use Nitrox with it. kinda makes it hardly worth buying to me.

not that many dive shops want to fill a 4350psi cylinder either....

Luxfer Limited 106
This is a special cylinder manufactured by Luxfer. It is a composite cylinder manufactured of both aluminum and fiberglass. It starts out as a standard
scuba 80 cuft cylinder. Hoop-wrapped fiberglass and resin is added to strengthen the side walls. This allows for an increased service pressure to 4350 psi and a capacity of 106 cubic feet. This cylinder falls under DOT Special Permit 12479. Requirements of SP12479 is a hydro re-test each three years and a fifteen year service life. The inlet to this cylinder is unlike most other scuba cylinders, utilizing 7/8" x 14 UNF threads (a smaller hole). The choice of valves is restricted to a 300 bar DIN valve with the correct 7/8" x 14 UNF threads.

interesting specs.
[table ]
Model | LALW106
Description | Limited 106
Service Pressure | 4350 psi
True Capacity | 105.2 cu ft
Buoyancy* FULL | - 4.8 lbs.
Buoyancy* HALF |- 0.9 lbs.
Buoyancy* 500 psi | + 2.1 lbs.
Weight EMPTY | 33.8 lbs.
Outside Diameter | 7.39 in.
Cylinder Length | 26.1 in.
Valve Included | VA378-43A
[/table]

LuxferComposite Cylinder
• Fiberglass hoop wrappedcomposite cylinder
• High 106 cuft capacity
• 4350 psi service pressure
• Inlet threads - 7/8” x 14 UNF (small hole)
• Requires 300 bar DIN valve (included)
• Fifteen year service life
• Required hydro test every three years
• DOT - special permit 12479
• No permit for use in Canada

Luxfer 4350 psi composite scuba cylinders should not be used with any gas exceeding 23.5% oxygen.

Yep, huge up front cost, don't know a shop that will fill that high, Hydro every 3 years, and then to put on the icing, after 15 years no matter what, its junk.

notice the o2 limits? can't use with more than 23.5 % oxygen.

so much for having a 106cf Nitrox tank. so not much use to pay $500 for a tank that big that you can't do nitrox in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom