Lumix 14-45mm in OM-D Oly housings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warmwater Wank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Tried a search and I know this is beyond a long shot but...Given that the Oly 14-42mm IIR kit lens is so-so, I see reviews that talk about how much better the Lumix 14-45mm G lens is. Any chance there is a way to use this lens in Olympus housings, any zoom gear available? Opinions on the 14-45mm lens as a topside lens on OM-D cameras?

Sorry if this has come up before but couldn't find a specific thread reference. // ww

The differences between those lenses are barley noticeable. If you really want to see a BIG difference step up to the 12-35 f2.8. That is the "go to" m43 lens and lives on my GH4 85% of the time.

SkyD--Thanks. Had read some lens test reports and the comparisons sounded more significant. I get it about the faster pro versions like the Lumix 12-35mm f/2.8 and the Oly 14-40mm f/2.8 but I was looking at a bit more reasonable priced solution. Also the notion of this lens working well in an Oly housing, having a zoom ring available, not needing a new port beyond the standard one etc.

As marginal as the Oly 14-42mm kit lens is I had my hopes there might be a reasonable improvement available around that zoom range. Then it might stand a chance of getting my CFO's approval. (She often shoots down even the most reasonable gear requests, the unreasonable ones just draw withering looks...) // ww

The 14-42 isn't awful.
Before spending money to get another kit lens, why not get the olympus 60mm and get some really great macro shots?
Or get the 9-18 on sale. Either of these will out perform the oly kit lens and extend your capabilities.
Just replacing one kit lens for another doesn't seem like the best use of money to me.
or what about the oly 12-50?

Now, I've never used the panasonic lens, so take what I saw with a grain of salt.
Just wanted to throw out other alternatives.

Chris--Thanks but check and double check. I have those other 2 Oly lenses, I was aiming specifically at mid-range for those "who knows what's really down there" dives. The kit lens isn't awful, true, but it does tend to suffer in comparison to the other lenses when I'm home reviewing a dive trip and seeing results. I saw a (terrestrial) lens test on the 12-35mm somewhere, made it sound like a big improvement over the Oly lens but alas, no side by side comparison pics.

I'd like to pull it off without major operational compromises, like needing a new port or losing a lens function because no zoom ring is available etc. We'll see but I'm guessing the options are not going to be abundant. // ww

I know this is not exactly what you were looking for, but...
Depending on which OMD you shoot, you may not need a zoom ring with the 12-50; I shot it for a while underwater with my M1, and the EZ zoom feature was nice. Ultimately though, I ended up with the 12-40, and I'm glad I did- it's just a lot better. If you're patient and shop around, you can get the 4/3 flat port for pretty cheap, and the lens pops up from time to time on the Oly refurb site.

Wank,
Didn't see you mention you had the other lens. Great if you do.

Someone else mentioned refurbed. I picked up the oly 12-40 f2.8 on the oly refurb site for $519. Now that deal doesn't happen everyday and when it does, you have to jump. I only use it top side as I have a PEN housing for an epl7.

So, the Oly 12-40 has been on the radar screen, just a bit out of my price range but duh, hadn't been checking Oly refurb or other used sources. Before I do a happy dance though, I'm shooting an EM-5 in the PT-EP08 Oly housing w/ standard port. Anyone know what it takes to have the Oly 12-40 f/2.8 work in this setup? (ie--which port, zoom ring etc.) Thanks! // ww

I used the old 4/3 PPO-E02 port, the zoom ring, and the OMD adapter as called for in the Oly chart:

http://cache.olympusamerica.com/static/getolympus/files/PT-EP11_EN-FIN.pdf

I managed to score a used port off e-bay for about 160 bucks. There's a 4/3 dome that works with the lens, but it's pretty spendy and for now, I have no problem with the flat port. It focuses pretty close- eventually I'd like to get an adapter to slap a macro lens in front of it. Here's a couple shots from my first dive with the combination (Clear Lake, OR- the really wide one isn't that great technically, but it was a fun composition):
P7190503-1.jpgP7190473-1.jpg

F--Thanks! Barring any better options I will be on the long quest for the Oly 12-40 and an old EO-2 port w/ adapter. Will have to double check, make sure the same setup works on the EM-5 housing but have heard a lot of good things on the Oly 12-40.

Clear Lake huh? I thought you needed a double drysuit to dive that! Good thing you got that trip in, looks like a skiff of fresh snow on the Cascades this morning! // ww

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom