Lumen Output for Diverite LED LUX?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg_Vic_Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Anyone have a photometric plot of the light output for the Diverite LED Lux?

Integrating sphere LM-79 test preferred.

I am seeing a HUGE conflict on what they rate the light lumens for and what the actual performance is.

I am seeing a HUGE conflict on what they rate the light lumens for and what the actual performance is.
That is the norm. Very few companies actually spend the big bucks necessary to buy/operate their own integrating sphere, or to send equipment to be tested. What I see most of the time:
1) taking the ideal, perfect world lumens from the emiter (which is only true in a laboratory setup with an infinite heatsink and temp kept at 25C) and using that as the output of their light/product/whatever.

2) Making a LUX measurement, which is just the direct measurement of the intensity in a very small sensor using a hand-held meter. Since you can manipulate the beam of an LED with reflectors/aspheric lenses, you can get a very high LUX output number, but have a light that has far less lumens (total output).

There is no law against it, there is no regulating body that protects us the consumer/customers, so we can only vote with our wallet, either deciding to buy it or not.

This is why here in this forum and in the flashlight forum we use beamshots of the lights in question/under test side-by-side (or using manual exposure) with/against a known/familiar light - this relative comparison gives you a better idea of what you will "see". Here is a link that I created as an intro to flashlights that has some beamshots so that you can see what I mean:
Introduction to modyfing flashlights ... - CandlePowerForums

Will

Hey Will, an integrating sphere test is very cheap. A few hundred dollars and there are many labs that can do it.

Lux does not equal Lumens. You can't measure lumens with a lux meter, and if you say you can it is a lie. If they want to state lx as the unit of measurement for the light it would be fine, but it would not tell the whole story.

Will one other thing: There is a regulating body that protects the consumer from mistated LED claims: The DOE. Here is a link to their CALIPER program. Check out the lighting facts sheet, no company can lie about thier light output anymore once this gains momentum.

Solid-State Lighting: CALiPER Program

Hey Will, an integrating sphere test is very cheap. A few hundred dollars and there are many labs that can do it.
I agree with you. What I said is very few companies do it or care. They just want to sell, so they use the largest possible numbers.

Lux does not equal Lumens.
That is what I was trying to say above. That many vendors throw the LUX measurement as if it were a total output number, which of course is not.

You can't measure lumens with a lux meter, and if you say you can it is a lie.
I never said I could, in fact I said above the two are not the same, so I don't understand the part about lying.

If they want to state lx as the unit of measurement for the light it would be fine, but it would not tell the whole story.
Again, I am in complete agreement. I am beginning to think that you misunderstood my complete post/reply.

Will one other thing: There is a regulating body that protects the consumer from mistated LED claims: The DOE. Here is a link to their CALIPER program. Check out the lighting facts sheet, no company can lie about thier light output anymore once this gains momentum.

Solid-State Lighting: CALiPER Program
Thanks for the link - very interesting indeed. It would be good if/when happens :D

I never said I could, in fact I said above the two are not the same, so I don't understand the part about lying.

Opps, I guess that could be misconstrued. I was referring to the manufacturers, not you. If they take a lx measurement and say they can extrapolate it into lumens it is a lie.

I hope more people will start to wake up and get educated on this.

I'm in the market for a small to medium led light that will not only provide the light I need for day and night-time dives but will hold up over time as well. I'm tired of buying plastic junk that falls apart after limited use.

Starting your own thread may be more productive than tacking it on to this one.

Do you want a corded can light or a hand held? Dive Rite makes an LED700 hand held that can be corded or you could go with the LED LUX (corded can light) for around $400. Light monkey also makes a 12 W LED in the same range. It has a very strong center spot and a wide peripheral beam and is quite versatile. The can is also quite small in comparison to the Dive Rite LED Lux but light output and burn time are comparable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom