Lucky on the Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Slug

Registered
Reaction score
First off the reason I am admiting this is because everyone one this forum has help me & by posting my sins I hope to help another diver think before he sinks.
I am an advanced open water diver with two years experience 24 dives. Most all of my dives have been in Michigan (cold & low vis). I have always been a very by the book diver until this dive. I had a condo offered to me in the Keys for a week through busniess and since it is starting to get cooler here in Michigan. I grabed up the offer to get in more diving in and took another couple with us. He assured me he was a experienced diver that did not keep a* log book & did not hold a advanced cert. But had a coin that said he had been deep before and the dive shop would let him go. Sure enough he found a charter to let him go. I am very comfrotable in the water and felt all would be OK if a promblem came up I or the DM would be able to handle it. I never dove in Florida before matter of fact I only dove in the ocean a few other times in Mexico.* Before we left I figured out there would not be a DM in the water with us matter of fact no other divers were with us on this dive. 10 min after leaving the dock* he figured out that his pressure hose did not fit his BC (opps) we turned around to rent a BC from the charter service. ( I knew he could oraly inflate but not on a deep dive. 1 at least for my common sence). Back off we went to the LSD-32. Durring my buddy check I noticed his snorkel was on the wrong side but it will work all is fine with him.* Hey no one to check me out! I made double sure all was fine.*Three foot waves and heavy current right in between hurricains Rita & Wilma. With any common sence I would of called off the dive. There is a lot of shallow reefs to check out. All was fine with the dive and the wreck is wonderful. I plan to go back to do many more dives on the Speigal. But next time I will be smarter. Many things could have gone wrong we were lucky!:11:

You were careful and lucky, my friend. Glad you made it back safely with that buddy.

Makes me shudder to think of some of the "boat buddies" I've dived with in the past. Now I work at being self-sufficient (as you did) while trying to be a good buddy...

Great post,
Grier

Most charter services also will have a "rental DM" for a few bucks that will dive with you. I have used them in the past, so I could enjoy my vacation dives without having to worry about the skills of an unkown buddy.

I would bet that your buddy had not dived in years. You were indeed lucky that nothing went wrong. Most importantly, it sounds like you were careful in that you checked his gear and you checked yours as well before getting in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom