lubrication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silverfish88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a question for the experienced divers out there. I have an ikelite camera housing. Up until now, I have been using the small tubes of silicone lube that came with the box for the O rings. I always lube them up for the first dive of a trip and just about every second or third time I dive also. However, the samples that they gave me are finally running out. My question is: Do I need to buy more ikelite silicone lube or is there some substitute for it? What is the equivlanent in the hardware store and does anyone know if it is as good? Thanks.

I have a question for the experienced divers out there. I have an ikelite camera housing. Up until now, I have been using the small tubes of silicone lube that came with the box for the O rings. I always lube them up for the first dive of a trip and just about every second or third time I dive also. However, the samples that they gave me are finally running out. My question is: Do I need to buy more ikelite silicone lube or is there some substitute for it? What is the equivlanent in the hardware store and does anyone know if it is as good? Thanks.

It's generally best to stick with the manufacturer's recommended silicone lube since some o-rings can swell up if the wrong lube is used. As you can imagine, this could cause problems leading to flooding. Also make sure you're not using too much lube as well - when I had my Ike housing, I didn't even come close to using up all the tubes that came with the housing and my strobes. Too much lube can also cause problems. As mentioned in various threads already, the lube should be enough just to make the o-ring shiny. The lube simply allows the o-ring to slide into it's correct position and does not create the actual seal.

Lube is cheap. I think you can buy 4 tubes for a dollar or two directly from Ikelite.

Yeah, the tubes are very cheap -- 4 for $1. You can get them from Ikelite or any Ike dealer. They're too cheap for me to think about using anything else.

Make sure you clean and lube your o-rings before every day of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom