lubricating valve knobs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a set of doubles and I am starting to dive them pretty often. But I realize that the knob of the manifolds are not turing as swift and easy as it was when new. Not surprised but what I am thinking is that is there anything we can do by ourselves to lubricate the knobs. Can we simply unscrew the knobs and apply some grade silicone?

Any suggestion?

Thanks a ton!!!

Did you just ask about lubing your knob?

First, get some of this:

http://www.4pcorporation.com/Molykote_111.asp

Then get a valve screwdriver (or make your own)

Then unscrew the knob, lubricate the moving parts and reassemble.

If you want to be thorough, clean the metal parts in an ultrasonic cleaner, then lube, then re-assemble.

Alternately, every two years, re-take your PSI certification, and take your tanks! (Yes I did this)

Hello wunat:
You don't state the make or age of the manifold, though in most all cases the cause of a difficult to turn valve is not the knob. It is the internal parts. Generally, the parts are worn leaving debris in the internal working of the valve. The correct way to correct the valve is a complete overall. The valve should be completely field stripped and cleaned. Some parts will require replacement. Silicone grease should only be used sparingly on the o-rings. If you don't have the tools, parts and knowledge you're best of to seek the service of your LDS.

wunat:
I have a set of doubles and I am starting to dive them pretty often. But I realize that the knob of the manifolds are not turing as swift and easy as it was when new. Not surprised but what I am thinking is that is there anything we can do by ourselves to lubricate the knobs. Can we simply unscrew the knobs and apply some grade silicone?

Any suggestion?

Thanks a ton!!!

XS Scuba:
Hello wunat:
You don't state the make or age of the manifold

It is a Haclyon 300 bar manifold. I got them new in mid-2006 with about only 40-50 dives on them.

OH wow, a new manifold? Yea it's either bent, or something is wrong. Take it in to get looked at.

It's not that it is really bad. It is just that it isn't as smooth as that when new. It is happening to many of my friend's manifold as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom