Lubricating O Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lonely Boy

Contributor
Reaction score
I know I have to lubricate the O rings of my underwater photo equipment regularly. However, is there anyone also lubricating the O ring of underwater torch and lights?

If yes, what kind of silicone grease do you use to lubricate the O ring of underwater torch?

Thanks.

I occasionally lubricate my twist-on style dive light o-rings, every 3rd or 4th time I go diving, or after a shore dive with a rough entry/exit where sand may have become lodged. Usually I just check the o-ring is clean when changing batteries, and when greasing them, remove the o-ring from the light, and clean out any residual gunk in the channel that holds the o-ring. I'm using just plain old bog-standard silicone grease.

I don't grease my canister light o-ring - I just clean the contact surface on the canister, and wipe the o-ring clean, to ensure a good contact. It seals using compression from the latches holding the lid down, rather than relying on ambient pressure.

Yes, I occasionally clean and lubricate the O-rings of my lights/tourch. I just use plane old silicone grease.

Scott

I clean my orings before and after every dive, and lubricate them before every dive. Lights cost to much to have them flood. Not too mention that flooded lights can cause some severe problems where I dive. it only takes a second or two to do, and IMO is worth the effort.

A good rule of thumb: for black o-rings use Nikonos grease. For colored o-rings, use Sea & Sea grease.

The function of the grease is to keep the silicon o-ring supple: it is not the sealant! In fact, be careful to NOT use too much because it will attract that fearsome destroyer of o-rings: sand. As far as how often to use it on non-photographic equipment: usually I grease flashlight o-rings just before a dive trip and just after. The rational is that just before gives me the chance to evaluate the status of the o-ring and just after gives me a chance to clean off any salt water or detritus.

Of course, if you change lights or batteries, you need to remove the ring evaluate it and regrease it or replace it.

For photo equipment, I do also check the o-ring just before a dive trip. However, during the trip, I do not fiddle with lens or lens port o-rings unless I have changed the lens or the port. By doing that I reduce the chance of damaging the ring. For film door seals on u/w cameras such as the Nikonos, I check the o-ring each time I open the door; and I regrease it. For the camera "door" of a housing, I do the same. That is because the act of opening either may allow a piece of sand, etc. to interfer with the seal. By regreasing it, I can evaluate the groove for the o-ring and the o-ring itself.

One more time, I need to emphasize that LIGHT GREASING is the word: the grease just keeps the o-ring from becoming dry or brittle. It is not the sealant.

Scorpionfish--that's not an old o-ring: that's my upper lip!

Back
Top Bottom