Question Lubricating front/purge cover threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
M

madamimadam

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
After spending entirely too much time attempting to unscrew the front covers/retaining rings of two different manufacturers' plastic second stages, I'd like to know if lubricating the threads during reassembly may help make removal easier in the future. The obvious argument against this would be that unnecessary lubrication can attract and retain grit and crud.

For those who lubricate this thread, is there a preferred lubrication (i.e. silicone grease, Christolube, WD-40 ;P )?

Thanks.

pngachoud,He has told you very well "theoretically" you should not lubricate with anything because it is a magnet for dirt, but I confess that I put a little silicone grease on the thread, just pass your finger with a small amount, over time and use becomes smoother, as your partner has told you, it is good to unscrew and clean from time to time, especially if you dive from the beach. After rinsing well with running water, I fill a small bucket with distilled water and give them a last rinse, saltpeter is as harmful as lime. And one last piece of advice, wear rubber gloves to remove it. Greetings

After spending entirely too much time attempting to unscrew the front covers/retaining rings of two different manufacturers' plastic second stages, I'd like to know if lubricating the threads during reassembly may help make removal easier in the future. The obvious argument against this would be that unnecessary lubrication can attract and retain grit and crud.

For those who lubricate this thread, is there a preferred lubrication (i.e. silicone grease, Christolube, WD-40 ;P )?

Thanks.
Christolube? Are you nuts or made of money? LOL

Invest in one of these and your troubles will be over:

It works for many scuba service other applications too.

To remove the cover: Sometimes it helps
  1. hitting the side of the thread with a rubber hammer, anything that would unstuck the remains into the thread
  2. soak in "hot" (temp <= 50C) water with 20% vinegar <= 20min.

To remove the cover: Sometimes it helps
  1. hitting the side of the thread with a rubber hammer, anything that would unstuck the remains into the thread
  2. soak in "hot" (temp <= 50C) water with 20% vinegar <= 20min.

I had tried several cycles of long soaks in water with detergent, time in the fridge, gentle taps with a hammer, and even some short runs in an ultrasonic. By then I had also begun to feel the strain in my elbow from repeatedly trying to twist-off the covers with silicone and rubber jar grips.

Might the vinegar damage the diaphragms and/or plastics?

Both covers finally came off with more aggressive effort with the hammer and a makeshift twisting tool—at that point I was ready to declare the covers a loss, so I didn't hold back the pent-up frustration. One of the regs had a crossed-thread, the other just a lot of sand and salt build-up.

Thanks for all the suggestions and responses!

How about just pull the cover off when you soak/rinse your gear?

For the record, these were second stages that I hadn't possessed for very long. I do tend to take a little better care of the regs I own.

The other thing is to not torque the covers. Just turn until they stop and a smidge. And yes, removing after every outing and wiping them with a damp cloth can virtually eliminate the problem.

No need to lube that part. However, if you must lube static applications that require O2 compatibility, like O2 reg threads, Tribolube 66. 71 has its uses, too.

As for your use case... The only answer is proper torque settings. Most people tend to over-tighten and somehow "hand tight" becomes "Arnold in Conan the Barbarian sword hand grip." You also don't want to put any grease on those threads and in that part of the assembly in general. Grease will attract sand and dirt.

I don't lube the threads. I believe it will lead to increased torque due to the lubrication, and will make the cover unnecessarily tight. Regular rinses, as mentioned by Jim Lapenta are the answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom