Lubing o-rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Lytton

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have the Ikelite case for my Nikon D7100 as well as 2 DS161 strobes. I recently had a strobe battery flood and just replaced it. I know in the manual it states that the O-rings on the strobe battery do not need to be lubed which I understand but could you clarify why? Is it just to prevent attracting grit, hair etc? Also can you clarify whether the o-ring on the case needs some lube or not? I understand the port o-ring does because of the motion when installing. I just want to do everything I can to prevent any flooding of coursed and am very careful with the process.
Thanks so much!

I lube all of my Orings - case and strobes.
I do it to ensure that the cap or case slides into position without twisting the oring when you close it.

Yes, to your thought about why they say no lube - lube attracts grit and will hold a hair that breaks the seal. You just have to be meticulous.

Silicone is specified by most mfrs, though you can use Tribolube or Christolube like I do.

Tom,

We don't normally encourage o-ring lubrication when it is not necessary. This reduces the possibility of debris attaching to an o-ring and causing a leak. As a general rule, compression fit o-rings do not need lubrication, however, piston fit (side to side seal) o-rings require light lubrication. Ikelite strongly recommends that you use ONLY Ikelite lubricant on our o-rings, as aftermarket lubricants have been known to react chemically with the o-ring material causing swelling and possible leakage.

Silicone Lubricant Resealable 2cc Tube
Product # 0184.2
$ 5.00
Silicone Lubricant Resealable 2cc Tube

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

The other problem you have is that lots of people think that lubricating an O ring means you have to puts lots of lube/grease on and give it a thick coating. You don't, the correct way to lube a O ring is to apply a thin coating using just enough to make it shiny, any more than that and you are just wasting lube/grease and creating more potential for sand, hair etc to stick to it.

S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom