Lp66?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishmunger

Contributor
Reaction score
I saw that OMS and PST used to make these, I like the size and buoyance characteristics...does anyone sell them?

Nate

The bouyancy traits and weight are almost identical to the generic Steel 72.

The difference is that the Steel 72 is about 4 inches longer and carries 64.7 cu ft at it's 2250 psi service pressure and 71.2 cu ft with a 10% overfill (2475 psi) compared to 60 cu ft at 2400 psi and 66 cu ft with a 10% overfill (2640 psi) for the LP 66.

In short, unless you really need the shorter tank, they do not make economic sense when you can get a fully serviceable in hydro good condition galvanized steel 72 for under $100.

That would be one of the major reasons no one sells them.

The Faber 72 is the most common short tank 70ish cu ft option although they are about 3 lbs heavier and 3 lbs more negative than an LP66 or steel 72 and they have a 3000 psi service pressure.

The generic Steel 72 is a great tank and is quite common given that most of them were galvanized and that galvanized steel tanks have a useful life of at least 50 years if they are maintained properly. I suspect the number of serviceable used steel 72's available at bargain basement prices is the reason they are no longer made.

thanks for the concise reply DA. I was just interested in the LP66, cuz like you said it's shorter. Seems that no one has them for sale, however. The Faber 72 on the otherhand sounds pretty nice, are those still available? Although I can't find much info on this tank...some places say its about -3 empty and others -6? The reason being I'd like something slightly smaller and a tad more negative than an old steel 72.

thanks,

Nate

I used Faber 72's for several years but they went with the ex-spousal unit in the divorce. I think 4 lbs negative is about right when empty and they are around 9 lbs negative when full.

They are still available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom