LP hose quick disconnect leaking when disconnected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barefoot_Lawyer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I have an LP inflator hose for my drysuit that is leaking air when it is disconnected but still pressurized. It quits leaking if you turn off the air and depressurize the line and then open the tank valve again.

Normally this probably wouldn’t be noticed or cared about, but I am diving manifolded doubles and often have my other first stage removed for fills between dives, meaning it is leaking a lot if I don’t shut down that post.

Is this a DIY project or am I better off just replacing the hose?

Hi, I have an LP inflator hose for my drysuit that is leaking air when it is disconnected but still pressurized. It quits leaking if you turn off the air and depressurize the line and then open the tank valve again.

Normally this probably wouldn’t be noticed or cared about, but I am diving manifolded doubles and often have my other first stage removed for fills between dives, meaning it is leaking a lot if I don’t shut down that post.

Is this a DIY project or am I better off just replacing the hose?
You need to exchange the valve, perhaps just the o-ring only.

Definitely a DIY job!

If its leaking when not connected to anything then its not the oring, it will be the valve core. That video is great and will make it pretty clear.

valve core

valve core tool

the valve core remover is also found on most scuba multi-tools

Definitely a DIY job!

If its leaking when not connected to anything then its not the oring, it will be the valve core. That video is great and will make it pretty clear.

valve core

valve core tool

the valve core remover is also found on most scuba multi-tools
It is definitely a DIY job, but since it only leaks when disconnected while already presurized (but not after it is drained and repressurized) it may just be some stickyness in the schrader valve. Before investing in the tooling needed to change out the schrader valve, I would try putting a drop of crystolube in there and then plug and unplug the connector a few times to let it work in there. That may fix the stickyness without spending much money (unless you don't already have crystolube - that stuff is ridiculously expensive by volume).

Stick a wood dowel in there and open/close a few times. Sometimes a grain of sand will get in there and needs to be blown out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom