LP hose deterioration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decompression

Instructor...seriously...
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I can think of several different manufactures, but it also mentions rubber hoses as well. I recall Andy (Devondiver) having this exact issue not too long ago.

Has there been a documented, proven case of this happening with rubber hoses? I don't think so. They've been around for decades and this degradation appears to be a new problem. I think the inclusion of rubber hoses in that article is misleading; it just says that all hoses have a limited service life. It doesn't say anything about rubber hoses crystallizing and blocking. It's the braided hoses that are at issue here.

I have rubber hoses that are definitely decades old and work perfectly. I have never, not once, observed any sort of internal crystallization or flaking with a traditional rubber regulator hose.

I suspect the liners in the Myflex or myflex style hoses are polyurethane. Decomposition of PU will be quite different than thermo setting rubbers.

Tobin

I saw a rubber hose fail gracefully after about 16 years it started gently fizzing on a dive. Another was a cut with resulting air escapage not on a dive. But I have never been party to a rubber hose failing by internal degradation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom