Lp Hose Crimp Loose Near Connector

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guruboy

Divemaster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
not sure if this is the right forum, but I had a question about hoses.

I was setting up a new reg set and I noticed that on one of my LP reg hoses, the crimped part and the male connector (part that goes into 1st stage) will twist independently.

So if the LP hose is screwed into the 1st stage, I am able to twist (with a little effort) the hose part with the crimp while the male connector screwed into the 1st stage is stationary.

To be clear, I am NOT talking about the other end where the 2nd stage goes. I attached a picture of the part I'm referring to.

Is this kind of movement OK? Not sure how the cable itself is put together or how the seal between the crimped hose and connector with threads is made.

image.jpeg

There are two types of fitting .. Fixed and swivel... It is rare to have a swivel on the 1st stage end... Can't tell by the photo... I'd bubble check it in the tub...wish I could have been more helpful...

Jim....

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it in water for leaks tomorrow.

It is not supposed to swivel.

I would say not an issue. There is a fitting inserted into the hose, with a "barbed" surface, and the crimp (ferrule) on the outside. Practically there is nothing to stop the internal barbed section turning apart from the crimp pressure. If it is tight to turn it will have enough pressure to be secure.

As will all things, always turn the tank on slowly, if there is a fault you will be able to control and turn the tank off :)

The insert will be something like:
7042%20-%20500.jpg

I see. That makes sense. Similar to other hose fittings then.

So the seal is technically made between with the hose and the insert you showed.

The crimped metal portion is just to apply extra pressure on the insert to keep it from pulling out.

correct, there is nothing special about the scuba fittings we use, they're all industry standard fittings. It appears it is designed to swivel so I wouldn't worry about it. Worst case you put it on the regulator and it shoots off when you pressurize it, but that is unlikely and just an inconvenience

If the hose you are talking about is the one in your photo, I have to disagree with the others above. There should be no movement in the fitting, and you should have to rotate the entire hose to screw it into your first stage. Rather than have a problem, I would get a new hose. Hoses do not last forever, and they take more wear and tear than you might think. Seems to me pay me now or pay me more later.

Reactions: Pao
I think it unlikely that the fitting is designed to swivel. The crimp is just not tight enough and is allowing the fitting to turn in the hose. If you can't confirm that it is designed to turn I would get a new hose.

It doesn't turn on any other hose. Probably just a loose crimp.

It doesn't leak but I'll call them tomorrow to see what the shop says.

Called the shop and they said that if it's a two piece design (like photo above, threaded connector insert and crimp fitting outside hose) it's designed to spin. There is also a one piece design that should not ever spin.

They checked and had some hoses that twisted and some that didn't. Just depends on how tight the crimp is I guess.

Back
Top Bottom