lowry & frenzel questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soonerwatch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I had some trouble with my ears on open water certification. Was trying to use valsalva method, but couldn't get fully equalized.

Been reading up and watching videos about different methods of equalization. lowry method (hold nose, blow, swallow) works like a charm for me on land. Been practicing in shallow pool with snorkel in my mouth and seem to be getting better but sometimes it will take me 30 sec. - 1 minute to swallow, other times I can do it on command. It's more difficult with something in my mouth. Any tips for making swallowing easier with reg in mouth? I'm going to practice with reg in a deep pool before next dive.

I can also do frenzel (close throat, pinch nose, use back of tongue like piston to push air into ears) but I don't hear the pop / crackle each and every time like I do with lowry. Is that normal?

Been practicing every day in preparation for october dive trip. I've also got some jbl hydro seal vented plugs on the way and plan to take afrin / sudafed. Sinus rinsing every day as well.

Soonerwatch - I have a similar issue as you. I can stretch my jaw and do a valsalva and I equalize with no problem. However when I put a reg in my mouth it is a real struggle. Lately my dives end with a middle ear barotrauma. I have used Afrin and do a sinus rinse 5-6 days a week. It helps some but I think the problem for me may be technique. Sorry I can't give you much help but misery loves company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joining the misery company, and I'm not a medical person, but some of us like a 30mg sudafed (NOT suda-guess-what-the-hell-it-is) before diving. :whistling:

I do NOT recommend the fake stuff trying to replace sudafed. In me, it can generate a reverse block if it wears off. Instant blockage.

Lowry works for me, nothing else does. When teaching OW, I find many students prefer Lowry; Valsalva is not for everybody....darn shame it is what is taught most often.

Sudafed seemed to dry me out so I stopped. I have noticed that with the reg in I tend to dry out too much to really get my E-tubes to open. I've been diving since 1986 and over the past several years my ability to equalize has been more challenging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments. Planning to give sudafed + afrin a try in local deep pool and try Lowry / frenzel this week. Went to ent today to make sure ears were ok. Doc said they were fine and he recommended afrin. He wasn't that knowledgeable about scuba at all. Seemed like I knew more by watching "the divers ear" YouTube videos. I contacted Dan but have no ent locally that specializes in diving

ive noticed that I get dry mouth when diving so I imagine this will make swallowing hard. Read in other posts of people taking Capri suns down with them and camel backs so they can get some relief from dry mouth. Might give that a try

ive noticed that I get dry mouth when diving so I imagine this will make swallowing hard. Read in other posts of people taking Capri suns down with them and camel backs so they can get some relief from dry mouth. Might give that a try
I found that my mouth got less dry when I relaxed and breathed less gas.

Yesterday I started to search for more information on ear equalization methods and found this document which seems to be very helpful:

http://folk.uio.no/gardot/frenzel.pdf

It really explains and provide detailed exercises on how to manipulate your epiglottis, soft palate, and using your tongue as a piston. I am going to work on this myself to see if it helps my situation.

Back
Top Bottom