Low Volume Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cmsawyers73

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
New to diving and current mask has too much volume...looking for a low volume mask for a narrow face....Opinions on Mako Minimus vs. Shadow mini.
Thanks for the help!

Beauchat's Maxlux S fits me well, low volume, silicone skirt, not too pricey. Have a fairly narrow face (apparently, since most normal masks leak a touch).

I have to ask though - new to diving, and 'too much volume' in your mask is bothering you how, exactly? I mean, I like the low volume for easy equalizing, but I never had significant problems related to volume with 'normal' masks. Fit, yes. Volume, not so much.

Get the one which is guaranteed to fit perfectly.

Beauchat's Maxlux S fits me well, low volume, silicone skirt, not too pricey. Have a fairly narrow face (apparently, since most normal masks leak a touch).

I have to ask though - new to diving, and 'too much volume' in your mask is bothering you how, exactly? I mean, I like the low volume for easy equalizing, but I never had significant problems related to volume with 'normal' masks. Fit, yes. Volume, not so much.

Thanks for the help guys. I started off with the Tusa HD Freedom...nice mask...ok fit, but for a narrow face it leaks constantly. The more I research the more I find that a low volume, smaller mask may fit better. Still learning...but hey that's the fun of it all...every dive is new knowledge.

Last edited:
Have you tried taking off the snorkel? IME it makes the mask much more comfortable all of a sudden.

I'm one of the few people whom Mako Mini doesn't fit. So I strongly recommend putting the reg or snorkel in your mouth and chewing on it when you try the (whichever) mask on. I do recommend Dano's service: he took the Mini back for full refund even with a handful of dives on it.

Thanks for the help guys. I started off with the Tusa HD Freedom...nice mask...ok fit, but for a narrow face it leaks constantly. The more I research the more I find that a low volume, smaller mask may fit better. Still learning...but hey that's the fun of it all...every dive is new knowledge.
If you are interested in selling the Tusa HD Freedom. Contact me at hyrum@tessoftware.com. I absolutely love mine and wouldn't mind having a spare.

Hyrum

I have the Oceanic Shadow Mini and really like it. I needed a low volume one because I don't have much of a bridge on my nose and most nose pockets were too deep and really hard or impossible to equalize when I need to pinch my nose. I have a pretty small/flat one. It also fits my smaller face (I'm female) better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom