Low Pressure Hydrocarbon/Oil Filter Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I have been planning a surface supplied air system for a few weeks, and have seen many different DIY setups. I am looking to make one for 5-10ft depths. First, I did an online PADI course a few years ago, just never did the in person part. Mainly because I have issues with the mask removal portion, but anyways, now there are other reasons I can't do real Scuba, but I am aware of the safety issues inherent to diving. As far as the DIY hookah design, the biggest hurdle I am running into is filtering out any airborn oils and other unknown contaminants. Even with most of the "oiless" piston and diaphragm compressors I see discussed, the issue of air contamination still comes up. The air/oil separators I see for sale seem to be for pressures in the 3000psi range, not 50-150psi. After reading through the harbor freight compressor thread on here I am still uncertain whether the air contamination issue is small enough it cant be measured, or if it is just completely a non issue altogether, but I figure I should get something just in case.
The other option I was considering is floating a used Scuba setup w/80CFM tank on an inner tube and just getting a cheap 4000psi compressor to fill it. Pair it with several air/oil separators plus CO removal catalyst + carbon + 1 micron mechanical filter. Unfortunately the air quality out of that setup will still be questionable. Maybe I should be asking where I can get an air quality test kit ha.
Oh one other thing, does anyone know if someone offers just a diaphragm compressor that has shaft that will allow me to use my own motor? I'd like to use a 12v brushless motor with variable speed but I dont see anything like that for sale.
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom