Low Lumen night light suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m going to Grand Cayman this January and am looking for a good light that is rated at, or can drop down to, low lumens (150-300, I think). My current lights are rated around 1000, with lower options (high, medium, low) and narrow beams, but they seemed too bright when I used them last year in Bonaire.

The Mako mini 630 is on the list since it can do 180 lumens when using AA battery, then higher with the rechargeable battery option, as well as the XS Scuba LT350 (380 down to 10). Also the UK and Princeton options. Any suggestions would be greatly helpful, as would any thoughts as to the best output spec for tropical night dives.

Thanks,
Erik

Why are they too bright? Maybe a wide beam would be better option than just lower lumens.

Mainly, seemed like everything was running away as soon as I saw them. Well, except the tarpon. They used our lights to find prey.
The wider beam is a consideration, though, but I think I would still want something in the max 600 range.

I have this one, as well as the narrow beam version. Bigblue Dive Lights

I "feel" like the narrow beam is brighter, and better on night dives. I use the wide beam as a backup light and for shooting with my GoPro (no hot spot).

I looked at that, as well. It makes sense that the narrow beam would seem brighter. Good to know about the no hot spot. Thanks for the info, @Snoweman.

Both of mine are twist to turn on and off. Make sure you only twist just enough to turn it off. I'm pretty sure I took one down with it twisted past the first O-ring. Bye bye dive light, hello scrap.

@Snoweman, looks like they have a push button tail switch now. I’ll have to give that one a closer look.
@JackD342, I had forgotten about the Tovatec lights. I was intrigued by the adjustable beam aspect when I was getting back into diving a couple of years ago. Thanks for the lead.

@Snoweman, looks like they have a push button tail switch now. I’ll have to give that one a closer look.
@JackD342, I had forgotten about the Tovatec lights. I was intrigued by the adjustable beam aspect when I was getting back into diving a couple of years ago. Thanks for the lead.

I saw that, but I think it's just a lanyard holder. The specs still say rotate on (or something like that).

Back
Top Bottom