Love, er, I mean.. Diving in a time of Covid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A play on a famous book title of course....

I'm new here. Used to dive lots and was an instructor for a few years in SoCal and a Divemaster in Grand Cayman. All quite a while ago though. Now I'm back into tropical diving X 2 years.

I want to go diving somewhere warm, and going abroad just does not seem on the cards.

I'm considering going to Florida later this month?
But where to base myself for some nice reef diving?
Also the wrecks look great?
I would also like to free dive every day?

recommendations?
Thanks
Aidan

Just make sure the county you're staying in has ample hospital capacity......

Just make sure the county you're staying in has ample hospital capacity......

Which may not necessarily be the case in Florida soon.

i watch the news from florida every day. traveling there now is a bad idea for many reasons.

but for future reference.....if you are looking for reefs i would head to the keys. for wrecks maybe look at the pompano beach area.

I love the play on words! I was actually planning on going to down to dive with Pura Vida in Riviera Beach this month. They are a favorite operator of mine and they are doing a good job at running their boat at a lower capacity to allow for social distancing. Given the rise in cases we're seeing again, however, I made the decision to stay home for a while longer. Makes me sad and I'm sorry not to be able to support my shop right now, but it just seems like the most prudent thing right now.

i watch the news from florida every day. traveling there now is a bad idea for many reasons.

but for future reference.....if you are looking for reefs i would head to the keys. for wrecks maybe look at the pompano beach area.
It's been a bad idea for several months and not advised as it was just a matter of time before cases spiked there - so folks travelling in from other states (especially high impact states) for leisure activities (i.e., non-essentiaul travel like diving) was never "sanctioned". I've resigned myself to do the "responsible" thing and stay put locally until this is over - hopefully by next spring/summer - it sure does suck, but I'd rather try to keep myself and others healthy!

I am down here in Florida. Yep, cases on the rise for sure here. I am still diving. I was down at West Palm diving with Calypso a couple weekends ago and am going down to Pompano next weekend. Boats are half staffed with everyone spaced out, no mask rinse bins, masks mandatory on ride out/in plus surface intervals. People are spread to stay compliant with social distancing guidelines.

I’m comfortable diving this way. Flying here wouldn’t be at the top of my list if I lived out of state, though.

If you like wrecks, Pompano Beach is where it’s at. Jim Atria, Lady Luck, Captain Dan are a few of my faves. Hoping to tech dive the Hydro Atlantic before Summer ends.

For reefs I would recommend West Palm Beach or Boynton Beach. I think the reefs offshore in those areas are the prettiest ones around and very lively. Pura Vida is a good operator in West Palm.

If you come in mid to late August the goliath groupers will be spawning. Jupiter Dive Center is one of my favorite operators and they do goliath dives in August/September. Seeing 100+ groupers in one dive is incredible!

Good luck,

Kyle

A play on a famous book title of course....

At the beginning of this mess I looked up that book "Love in the Time of Cholera" and discovered it's not about cholera, the disease - but cholera as in sadness (if I understood the description correctly). I was all set to read a new book too!! :wink:

At the beginning of this mess I looked up that book "Love in the Time of Cholera" and discovered it's not about cholera, the disease - but cholera as in sadness (if I understood the description correctly). I was all set to read a new book too!! :wink:

You should read it anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom