Lost weight belt at 100 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Felipe Telles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

This happened to me on my last dive trip, on Malpelo in the beging of this month. Malpelo is known for its heavy currents, making it a very challenging site to anyone not used to currents. We were on a liveaboard, and before the trip our instructor told us that was suposed to be very cold in there and we should bring cold water gear. We packed up our drysuits (me and my fiancee). When we got in the boat our dive master said that the water was very hot, and we decided to not use our drysuits in the first two days of diving which were at Gorgona, a very beatiful island we stoped in the way to Malpelo.

The diving in Gorgona ended up very well, but as I was not using my drysuit and rockboots, my fins were very sloppy, so I had a terrible time trying to overcome the current which was also present at gorgona. My weightbelt was fine, fitting very well, it was ok, except by the fact that it had a plastic buckle. It made me a little worried, but I didnt have any other option since it was the only kind of belt avaible at the time.

We arrived at Malpelo, and even tough it was as hot as Gorgona I decided to go with my drysuit, which made me fell much more comfortable underwater, tough I was toasting outside of it. The weightbelt now become more problematic since it was barely closing, because of the drysuit being bigger on the hips. I was worried about it, and decided after the first dive that I would change it. Anyway, after a few dives I hadn't changed it yet.

On the second dive of the second day, my instructor saw me having problems closing the belt. He said I had to change it, but as we were already on the panga on our way to the dive site I said I would change it after the dive. We dropped down the panga, negatvely boyant because of the heavy current and huge waves topside. Afeter maybe 30 seconds I was at 100 fsw, felling in a huge washing machine. Then just 3 feet away from the bottom, my weightbelt buckle breaks and it goes right to the bottom. I desperate swin down to grab it, and fortunetely I didn't have any problems doing so. My fiancee which was also my dive buddy, grabs me by my first stage to tey to stabilize me as I was getting thown to the rock wall right beside me. We ended up both being thrown against the rocks a couple of times. I was with my drysuit, and I feared I could have a leak, since it was a rock full of barnacles and urchins.

I finally get myself trimmed up as I inflate my wing and I see my DM right in front of me. I show him the weight belt in my hands and he points me the sand part of the bottom nearby. But the current was heavy and I couldn't reach it. I went up a little to try to get rid of the current (my fiancee still holding me), and a french guy who was with us tried to help me, and I pointed him the other DM who was nearby to try to help me.

I put the belt on my back I was away from the heavy current and try to close the belt. Ended up that the plastic buckle was completely broken now, as I had two parts of it in my hands. The DM comes closer and fixes it, and helps me buckle it. She looks at me and asks me if I'm ok. I show her the ok sign. She doesn't believe me. I show her the ok sign with both hands now. And then right after I showed her the thumb up. I didnt feel I should complete the dive. She shows me the sign to follow her and asks me if it's ok again. I think a little and realize that I could be dangerous to thumb the dive so early, because the waves were very high (about 8 feet), and maybe the panga guy wouldn't see me surface, because he wouldn't expect to someone to surface so early.
After this I relax a little bit, look at my spg (I used a lot of gas during the emergency, I think 700 psi), and stay close to my buddy (my fiancee, we talk a lot about emergency procedures, and we invest a lot in training, we know exactly how each other is feeling underwater, and our weaknesses). During the dive I felt a little cold, and I thought a had punched a hole in the suit, but fortunetely it didn't happen. I think the water entered through the seals while the whole thing happened. After 15 minutes, I show my fiancee the low gas sign and thumb the dive. I show the DM I was low on gas and gave her the thumbs up sign also.

I shot my smb from 45 feet deep (it's a 6 foot smb), so the pangas would have more time to see it from the surface. I was a little shaken up yet so I didn't blow enough air for it to stand up tall in the surface, and almost drop my spoll while reeling it in.

We surface, after doing our safety stop, and the waves looked worse than when we went in. It really wasn't but I felt like at that moment. We can't see the pangas, so I look for my whistle. Great, I forgot to tie my whistle. My fiancee grabs the smb and inflates it to the full capacity. Now they see us. Finally I feel safe.

I learned a lot from this incident.

1- Everything counts as a safety device while diving, even your weight belt. I bought one for my own, doing this I'll know it's doing fine, won't break, and fits me.

2-Always be around for your buddy- this is a little obvious, but it's very often neglected. If my fiancee was just a little farther away, I could hit my head on the rocks, could let go of the weights...

3- Always carry your SMB and a noise device while diving. No matter which site. You have to be seen or heard for someone to help you while in a emergency, or alone at the ocean.

There's maybe a little more from this incident I learned, but for now it's all I can think of. Thanks everyone who read this, hope this help someone think a little more about the gear, or the buddy system.

Felipe

wow glad you are ok! Sounds like a crazy few minutes down there at 100'... Glad you had your buddy right there next to you and a DM capible of fixing a broken buckle at 100'.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad things worked out. It sounds like you and your fiancée make a good buddy team.

You had a couple of things working for you during your UW emergency:
  • It occurred at the beginning of the dive (when you had a nearly full tank).
  • It occurred at depth.
Both of these factors would require gas to be added to your BCD to maintain neutral buoyancy at depth.
Presumably, the effect of the loss of your weightbelt on your buoyancy could be mitigated somewhat by dumping gas from both your BCD (mostly) and your drysuit (just a little, until squeeze becomes intolerable).

I'm not a big fan of plastic weightbelt buckles because of the increased likelihood of failure. The stainless steel ones are much better, and they are quite affordable.

How much weight did you load onto your weightbelt?
Did you put all of your lead weight on your weightbelt? If not, how did you arrive at deciding how much weight should be ditchable vs. non-ditchable?
Unintentional loss of a weightbelt is one of the reasons why, in many cases, putting 100% of your lead on a belt might not be the best configuration.

No, I don't have all my weight in my weight belt. I usually use weight pockets in my cam bands and I also use a stell back plate. This time I was not using the pockets, but now that you're saying I will start to use them back again. I hadn't put a lot of air in my suit when the whole thing happened. Another thing that I screwed up was that I wasn't with my crotch strap on during those dives. We would always gear up when we reached the dive site, and most of the times the seas were very rough, so I was a bit messy to try to search for it, stand up and put it in place. If I was with the crotch strap on the weights wouldn't fall or at least they would take a little longer to fall.

I'm glad to hear you are o.k. A similar thing happened to me on my second OW dive, another person in my group (student) convinced me to move the sliders to keep the weights closer together, turns out that idea led to the buckle being unable to close fully. I was only at ten or so, but once it came off I went up pretty quickly. It sounds like you don't use a jacket, but it's my incident and yours which make me somewhat relieved that I recently ordered a weight-integrated BCD. Again, I'm glad you are ok and wish you (and your permanent buddy) luck and enjoyment in your future diving adventures.

Never use those plastic buckles, for that matter, never use buckles of the thread-thru friction closure type, period.

I only use one of these two buckles:

belts.JPG

I was using 16 lbs of weight in that dive if I remember correctly.
I don't like integrated weight bc's that much. I had an experience of someone losing it at the surface because it wasn't very well placed. My plan is to buy one of those DUI weight systems. They seen to be very comfortable and reliable.

I admit, I'm a airhog, but I couldn't imagine how much air you can use in so little time when you become stressed, even tough I was at 100 feet deep.

For 16 lbs a harness is way overkill, try either the "SeaQuest" style belt (now sold by Trident) or a rubber belt with a wire buckle, you will be very pleasantly surprised.

I don't like integrated weight bc's that much. I had an experience of someone losing it at the surface because it wasn't very well placed.

That's a problem I hope to avoid, hopefully, the Surelock II on my Pro QD (which has rails to guide the integrated pockets) won't fail under similar circumstances as long as I put it in properly.

Back
Top Bottom