Lost Passports in Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba buddha

Reaction score
So am posting this in case anyone has found our passports. We, Andre' and Erica, newly certified and 100% addicted to our new hobby, we're in Utila Honduras at the begining of July '03. On the last day of our OW dive we "lost" our grey wallet which contained travelers cheques and 2 USA Passports. Needless to say the rest of the weekend was a little tense. We were at the Utila Dive Centre when we last saw the wallet. The only other thing that could've happened was that we dropped it out of our bag and fell somewhere where no one's found it yet. This senario is the one I'd like to keep as the way it was lost because the alternative is that another dive student or teacher went in to our bag and took them out. I'd like to think that it's impossible. Am I being naive?

I'm quite certain that the Islanders wouldn't have snuck into the dive center spotted a purse, opened it and grabbed only the wallet and ran off with it. That just doesn't happen there. Everyone we talked to including the police , motel staff, grocery store managers, shop keepers and Municipality office didn't know how to deal with it because it had never happened before.

I'm hopeful that the wallet will turn up at some point just so we can stop going over every detail trying to figure it out.

All this to say that should anyone find it please let us know on this board.

The best thing about this whole experience is that gives us a reason to go back to that magical place enjoy some amazing diving, CoCo Loco's, Salva Vida, and the Inn's safety deposit box!

Thanks for reading.

By the way, always make copies of your passports and other i.d. and keep them seperate from originals, like you do with traveler's checques, and give yourself an extra day or two to deal with the Embassy. Just because it's the Embassy don't expect the same "back home" effciency.

Bubble, bubble, bubble...

I keep scans of my passport and my wife's on the web that can be brought up and used as id at most consulates or embassies.

On the subject of who nabbed yr passport, I'd guess that it was not someone off the street. UDC and anyone else in the biz who wants to keep touristas coming around will keep the riffraff out of the shop. Still a US passport is probably worth a good deal to many people and even the honest ones are still poor enough to be tempted.
=Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom