Lost my PADI card - do i need it for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

durrrrrrr

New
Reaction score
The replacement costs $60, which sounds like an outrageous ripoff. Even downloading an electronic card for Android costs $60, which is even more ridiculous as it costs $0 for PADI to issue.
Do I need it to go diving or will any ID suffice (considering it's easy to look up online)?
I'm in Australia, if that matters at all.

Thanks.

You could probably get away with asking the operator you are diving with at the time to look it up for you.

SSI has a free Android app i use that lists your c-cards and diving experience. But from what you said this costs money with PADI?

But from what you said this costs money with PADI?
Yep. PADI wants money to display your certifications on a mobile device. Something like $35 a certification here in the states.

Instead, I just scanned mine front and back and haven't had any issues.

To durrrrrrr, are you diving with an operator or doing shore dives on your own? If the latter, you should be ok. If you're with an operator, they might be ok, or they might ask you to prove a few skills prior. Really depends on the op.

The replacement costs $60, which sounds like an outrageous ripoff. Even downloading an electronic card for Android costs $60, which is even more ridiculous as it costs $0 for PADI to issue.
Do I need it to go diving or will any ID suffice (considering it's easy to look up online)?
I'm in Australia, if that matters at all.

Thanks.

It's $37USD here in the States to replace a card. Absolutely outrageous IMO and when I found that out my opinion of PADI went way south.

I know some operators will verify that you're certified by verifying your identity then logging online to PADI and cross checking. Ironically, the way they verify is by going through the motions of ordering for a replacement card for you (of course they stop before they submit the payment).

EDIT: Typically you should contact them so they can verify you PRIOR to you arriving at the boat

Last edited:
Ask your lds or a PADI pro to do a dive check online for you, print this page for your records. The combination of photo ID and this record should suffice for almost any time proof of certification is required. For the considerable cost of replacement, another course which will give you another certification card would seem a plausible way to go. Dive safe.

You will probably need a card to fill or rent tanks.

If the dive shop has internet connection you can check your PADI qualification here

https://www.padi.com/scuba/applications/studentRCOL/SearchRecord.aspx?languageID=5

I only had to use this once when I forgot my Nitrox card.

I just checked on mine and I guess someone would have to look in a file cabinet for my OW cert. The latest stuff is there so no big deal.

Bob
------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

a PADI shop should be able to look it up for you, but can a non-PADI shop?

I figure this is something you can get away with for awhile but if you dive enough places sooner or later it will become a headache. You don't mention your certification level, but if you don't want to buy a replacement card and don't have AOW yet, do AOW sometime then use that card. Or Rescue if you have AOW. (A Nitrox card should also work, or any specialty for that matter, since you have to be certified to have one - but I've occasionally heard stories of clueless shops wanting to see a OW card along with a Nitrox card.)

We check diver's certs out all the time on the computer or by calling PADI, SSI, NAUI and those other ones.

While you may make due without one in the short term, eventually you will need a card of some sort. Doing a more advanced course will provide you with one.

Next recommendation....once you have it, take an electronic picture of both sides and keep a copy on your laptop and...smart phone as a back-up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom