Lost my light. Found it 6 days later still shining! I'm a believer: Shockwave LED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I had to share an amazing moment my dive buddy and I experienced this past 6 days. I've always heard people clam about the Shockwave LED light by Princeton Tech so I couldn't wait to try my brand new one out on a dive. I took it down for the first time under 120 feet of dark, cloudy and chilly long island sound water. The light worked great on that dive but it was how the light performed afterwards that leads me to my post.

The light must have snagged on something as I came out of the water and into the dive boat because when I settled back on the boat i realized my light was no longer hanging from my BC. The strap had broken and my light was now somewhere 120+feet below the rocking boat in a dark cold wreck. As a I mulled over the loss my brand new light my dive buddy encourages a search and rescue mission. Problem was, the day was over and it was time to head home.

6 days later we get on the boat and head over the the wreck site where my light had sunk. Sure as day not only did we find the light within 10 feet of where we had suspected it to be, but THE LIGHT WAS STILL SHINNING. 6 DAYS LATER. 121 FEET DOWN. The advertised torch time is only 26 hours. It was down there and on for 144 hours. The light still looked and functioned brand new. There was no water in the battery compartment either.

Princeton Tec, I now know why they say you guys make a bad-ass light. Duracel, I was always a believer.

Here is how we found the light 6 days later, 120 feet under water and still ON!:

image.jpgimage_1.jpgimage_2.jpg

I think those batteries must have had a cave fill on them. :)

Not really believable......more likely an octopus was playing with it and turned it off.....then returned just before you guys dove again and turned it back on.......lol.

I tell no lie here. The light was on. It was dim but on and bright enough to catch our eye (which is how we found it!). I emailed both Duracel and PT to let them know.

And yes, maybe a sea creature turned it off and then back on 6 days later because I now believe anything is possible LOL.

I note there is a bit of discoloration around one of the LED, like it got hot or something. I imagine PT or Duracell or both would love to use the story for advertising. If not, they are missing a great opportunity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom